Friday, August 31, 2012

National Anthem

I recently sent in an audition CD for a competition to sing the national anthem.  Before recording the performance I spent some time practicing with a good friend and very talented musician.  He graciously and patiently practiced and recorded the performance offering both encouragements and critiques for a more successful presentation.  One of the things he did say was he recognized my obvious adoration for the song and asked me to express my motivation.

Having been born in Mexico and being immersed in the Hispanic traditions of South Texas, I have lived in America most of my life and therefore have a great sense of pride in my country.  I have American citizenship and enjoy all the rights and freedoms of an American except for the ability to run for President(controversial topic and also a huge sigh of relief for all of you who personally KNOW me).  My sister, American born, who terrorized me at every border crossing with threats of revealing my "wetback" status to the Immigration officers(as they were once known), also has an immense pride in her country.  I can remember driving in the car with her and  when a convoy of hummers passed us she physically pulled the car over, got out, and saluted the officers.  She loves working at the Veterans hospital and hearing the war stories of all the brave men and women who fought for our freedom.    She travels all over the world and so she understands the true meaning of the freedom we experience here in America.

I know, LAND THE PLANE....when I sing our national anthem I have visions of "bombs bursting in air" and a flag waving in the wind, tattered and torn from war but being held nonetheless as seen in the Iwo Jima monument(and first the actual photograph from the Battle of Iwo Jima)  with the inscription, "Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue."  A haze over the land with men and women fighting in blood stained garments.  My eyes fill with tears every time I hear this song.  I am proud to be an American.  I am so thankful to all of the people who serve in various capacities to make this country a wonderful place to live.  Yes we have some huge issues to sort out, but we can choose who will do the sorting and how they will sort.  We have a voice and we are not killed or punished for voicing our opinions...ostracized, possibly.

Thank you to all of our service men and women and their families who sacrifice every comfort to ensure America remains, well The United States of America.




No comments:

Post a Comment