Monday, August 27, 2012

Bad Timing

This morning at work, yes I work, a friend of mine pointed something out that I had completely missed.  Yesterday I was having a mini-tantrum about changes in my world(I do not like change) and at the same moment I was telling my friend about my "terrible" situation, Brett asked why he didn't have a chocolate like his sister.  I, very annoyed, said something about not talking about this right now and closed the car door on his talking face.  My friend laughed and said, "...kids never really know it isn't a good time to ask you something when they want something."  I smiled and thought about giving her my children as she is neither married nor a mother.  She learned something at that moment that was LOST on me until today.

Today she said, "...isn't it funny how we do the same thing to God."  Yes, now it all makes sense.  She saw the bigger picture when I just wanted everything in my life to be the way I wanted it to be and my son just wanted a chocolate.  God has a plan for each one of our lives, but sometimes we gets so caught up in our version of life we don't hear or honor his timing.

Take, for example, Jonah.
Jonah 1:1-3 
The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me." But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord. 

Do you recall what followed this running away by Jonah?  Yes, he was swallowed by a whale.


Here is a quick link to the story of Jonah.  I hope you find some comfort and some gentle nudging, as well.  


No comments:

Post a Comment