Saturday, August 4, 2012

Wait, Did I Miss It?

This post is a hard one for me to write since it is something I struggle with daily. It does parallel with another post (Are You Committed to Something Valuable?), but it goes a little deeper. Can you take it?

The other day I was a dinner with my family and the table next to us had a single mom and her ten month old daughter. They walked in, sat down and for the next thirty minutes the young mom checked facebook. The little girl was very well behaved yet she kept trying to get the attention of anyone she could find.  I was an easy find for this child as I was drawn to her big, soft eyes. I wanted to hold her and talk to her and play a game of peek-a-boo.

Maybe I just caught them on an off day. Maybe this mom is super attentive but had a long day and needed to decompress. Maybe not. I've mentioned how I often ask my daughter to give me one sentence that describes me.  One time she said, ”I'm not sure because all you do is text and facebook. Ouch!

I do love people and enjoy the opportunity to live life surrounded by friends via facebook, but not at the expense of my family.  I still struggle with balancing my social life and my family life. Luckily I have a daughter who is not afraid to tell me the truth.

I know I need truth tellers in my life since I easily get hooked on, well, all sorts of things.  Sometimes I get offended prickly when I hear the truth.  Often it takes a couple days for the constructive criticism to sink in, but I want my family to know they matter most to me. 

Don't let it be you who asks, ”Wait, Did I Miss It?”

No comments:

Post a Comment