Friday, August 3, 2012

I'm Beyond Famous, I'm Infamous

My real name is Merissa.  It means Sea Star and, yes, I always dreamed of being a star. I have been putting on shows in living rooms across the country for as long as I can remember. You fancy a song?  No problem. A dance routine? I got it! Perhaps you prefer theatre? Comedy or tragedy?
I've been the star of my own show since birth.  Ok, so we've all been the star of our own show!  I dreamed of being a Broadway superstar and had all the necessary talents and opportunities, but when the time came to commit to the endless auditions and the countless ”thank you, you are free to go” speeches I packed up and left town.

I only ever wanted to be the best at something and if I wasn't the best I gave up.  As I matured I began to realize that I could be the best ME even if I wasn't the best (insert anything here).  In addition to maturing, I also felt a strong urge to move back to Texas.  I call it the Holy Spirit.
I arrive in Texas where I immediately find work as a dance director at a performing arts high school. My degree is in Dance Pedagogy so this job is perfect. I spend many hours a week in dance classes and rehearsals, training a young new breed.  Mostly I was learning from these students, although I was benefiting by collecting the pay check.  Some of the students loved me and others loathed me, yet they could all agree I gave a great stretch class!

I no longer teach at the performing arts school, but I am still a teacher.  I teach Spanish, although I think I'm much more well versed in the foreign language, ”crazy sauce.”  Unfortunately it is not a recognized class.  You see, the things I learned as I taught were more valuable than anything I could ever do on the stage.   I taught others to be the best. I helped them along their path to stardom, fame, success, failure, life. I've changed more lives as a teacher than I could ever have done as a star.

I perform everyday in a classroom and must bring my ”A” game.  I can't promise I'm always perfect, but I promise to commit to my students no matter the challenge.  My job is not really to teach them any particular subject matter, rather I  teach them to be the best they can be.  Some will go on to be scientists, attorneys, nurses, doctors, chefs, or maybe if they are lucky, a stay at home parent.  They will live their dreams and possibly walk away from them to do something better.  I know I did. 

The success my students have found qualifies me to also be a success.  Their successes lie in a variety of fields.  Some of my students have taken more time to mature and others are on their second or third career. Some students have become successful because of something I contributed to their lives and others in spite of me.  Successful all the same.  So, in a crazy way, I am famous...uh well, infamous.


*I am so thankful for the special teachers in my life who changed me and made me better.  I am also thankful to all of my students for their lessons...even the lessons that involved my students smelling like pot.  Unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment