Monday, August 6, 2012

I'm Always Right, Except For When I'm Wrong

The past three weeks have been full of sickness in my house.  Sadly, my husband was ill during our Big Summer Vacation.  The first week Chloe, my daughter, had over 103 fever for an entire week.   Brett spent a whole week with a fever, Thadd followed during our vacation and then the day we return home, I get it. 
I'm certain I haven't had a fever in a while.  I feel awful.  Everything hurts, EVERYTHING!  I'm a mom and as such am well versed in treating sickness symptoms.  Fever requires a BRAT diet, hydration, warm showers or baths, and dress in lightweight clothing.  So, I had cereal with milk (NO!), a little bit of water, a boiling hot shower, and then wrapped myself in a huge fuzzy robe and covered myself with two comforters.  Obviously, I'm sick and think all the things they say about a fever are lies;  a luke warm shower will NOT feel good!

Two weeks ago when Chloe was sick I asked her symptoms and stood with my hand on my hip in complete disbelief.  ”Chloe, your body does not hurt!  I can't imagine your neck and back hurt.  Clearly the spinal encyclopedia you read is swaying your symptoms.” Perhaps I also posted something of facebook about her drama.  Yesterday I was in bed almost crying because my body ached so badly.  The high doses of ibuprofen were more to treat the pain than the fever.  This morning I awoke in such pain I crawled out of bed to take more ibuprofen.  At about 2 o'clock, Chloe came and sat on my bed and began rubbing my back.  At 4 o'clock she wiped my forehead with a  wet wash cloth. 

Think back two weeks when I was torturing her for  ” being dramatic” and poking her leg and arm and asking, ”Does this hurt?”  I know, call Child Protective Services.  I look at her sweet face and say, ” Chloe I'm so sorry I didn't believe you when you were sick.”  She just smiles.

I was wrong.  So very wrong.  I'm also wrong in my fever treatment, but I just removed two blanket and my robe and I'm drenched in sweat.  I  guess I deserve to be since I didn't follow ANY  instructions! 

I'm lucky Chloe forgave me, we aren't always so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment