Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Mirror Doesn't Lie

Yesterday I had my annual visit to the doctor.  As with all doctors who treat women there are often advertisements for fillers, tighteners, weight loss, ”the botox”, and also informational material about mammograms and menopause.  Brett was thoroughly fascinated by the thermascan breast images and Chloe was already starting to feel fatigue, reduced libido (for which she does not know the meaning), frequent urination, and hot flashes. 
After I dealt with Brett's need to touch the thermascan image and Chloe's pre menopausal hallucinations, I remembered a girl I recently saw at a restaurant.  The girl was in her mid to early twenties and beautiful.  She had additional augmentation in the form of eye lashes, breasts and hair extensions.  She obviously worked out often and she was wearing very little clothing.  The problem I found was she made a naturally beautiful girl, not as beautiful.  Everything she added to herself must make her feel like she looks better, but to an outsider she looks, well, fake. 
I thought about all the reasons someone might change themselves so much....daddy issues, self esteem, work, the list is long and I'm not a psychologist.  Then I turned the tables on myself.  What do I do that makes me look, well, fake?  The list was not very long...I wear make up and an occassional removable hair extension.  I like to dress up and sometimes I will wear costumes, when appropriate.  Why don't I feel the need to ” enhance” myself?
Don't get me wrong, a little lipo and a lift would do wonders on my strut, but at what cost to me?  Mostly just a little( a whole lot) of pain and some pain killers and some down time might be the cost, or maybe I might become addicted to the changes.  Changing more and more until I'm no longer myself.
A good friend, recently reminded me of my value.  You see, our value is not found in the mirror.  The mirror is a liar.  We were perfectly hand crafted by a divine Creator and as such we were made perfect in His sight.  Men and women both struggle with the changes time reveals on their faces or bodies, but don't be so wrapped up in physical perfection that you forget to accept yourself.  Your value is found in your heart, not in the mirror.
Invest in fillers or augmentations or diets or extensions if you must, but don't lose sight of your real worth as it does not reveal itself in a full length mirror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment