Saturday, August 11, 2012

My Husband Has An Addiction...It Is An Epidemic of Sorts

I'm barely awake yet I can hear the distinct sound of a tractor turning over.  I'm pretty sure we don't have a tractor and so I look over at my husband, who is sitting with the laptop in his, well, lap.  Have you ever seen a child's eyes on Christmas morning right before they run to the tree and tear open the gifts?  The sparkle and wonder filled eyes?  Yeah, those are the ones on the face of my husband.  I ask him what he is doing and he tells me about this tractor he found on bidnow.com*.  A front-end loader for $300? Really, huh, I didn't know we needed one of those.

Sometimes I walk in to our bedroom to find him staring at a screen.  I jump on the bed to see what could possibly be holding his attention....bidnow.com*.  I try putting on "special pajamas" to distract him from the auction website, to no avail.  "Babe, they have a dump truck for $600!  What do you think?"  Let me see, I think we need it for all sorts of things like for example....hmmmm, NOPE, can't come up with any.  "Babe I got these great cast iron skillets for cheap!" ( Please see picture below to fully comprehend the work being done to return them to their original state.)  I really do love cast iron skillets and cook on them often.  Food has a delicious quality when you saute on cast iron and then you can stick it straight in the over for delicious perfection.  Unfortunately, the amount of rust featured on the skillets makes them museum quality and beyond repair!!  Ok, so I might be repairing them after scrubbing for half a day my husband found a better solution of vinegar and water soak.  They might be usable, but if I suddenly die, please investigate the cast iron skillets.



I have multiple items in my house from his favorite auction site.  I do not need anything, but for some scary reason he truly feels drawn to needing things from this site.  In the early years I thought he was just an anomaly and then I met my friend's husband who we will call, John.  John, too, is addicted to this website and also makes the preview visits to make sure the items he is bidding on are truly as good as they look in pictures.  Ok, so only two men in this world are addicts.  There must be a twelve step program around here somewhere.  I should call Craig, from Craigslist.  He should be required to create a rehab program for users of his site.  My husband and John also love the Craigslist bargains.  So between bidnow.com* and Craigslist I don't get much attention.  I get gifts, though.

While thinking about finding a rehab facility to treat my husband and his friend I had my neighbor and his wife over for dinner.  Guess what?  Yes, her husband also follows those two sites.  There is an epidemic here!  What are we wives supposed to do about this terrible addiction??????  Did I do something wrong?   Are my dinners not creative?  Am I not attractive and he must follow the auction websites?

After hours(seconds) of racking my brain I come up with a solution.  Go with the flow.  Ladies, this is shopping.  Yes, I do need a tractor AND a dump truck!!  Ten beautiful handmade birdhouses, yes I do like them very much...THANK YOU!!!  Rust iron...I mean, cast iron skillets?  I'm so lucky to have a whole set now!


*bidnow.com is not the actual website but when I told Thadd I was going to blog about his addiction he made me swear not to use the name for fear of poachers stealing his goods.  Yeah, ok, I promise.  In advance, please don't ask for the real name of the website as I was sworn to secrecy, seriously, Seriously, SERIOUSLY.  Also, if the rust ever comes off, I will post a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment