Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Mystery on the Farm

I think the best part about living in the country is all the adventures it produces.  Since Sunday I've lost a cat and two goats, had a concrete kitty, and have cat food missing from the patio shortly after feeding time.  I'm part mom, part teacher, part wife, and part sleuth.
All day Sunday,  Scratchy the kitten spent the day in my husband's shadow while I was stuck in bed.  They worked in the the garden, the barn, and the coop.  At bedtime I go outside to check on everyone and Scratchy is missing.  ”mew mew mew mew!  mew mew mew mew!” I look in all the places he plays with no luck.  I turn to my husband in bed and say, ” I'm so worried about tiny kitty.”  He replies, ” You don't even worry about me that much!”  Ha! 
Still Sunday, I head to the barn to look for Scratchy when I realize the goats are missing.  I call to them and after about five minutes I see their bouncing ears rounding the neighbor's barn and squirming through the fence.  They run full speed till they are standing, with dirt flying, at attention in front of me.  Naughty goats, they found a hole in the fence.  Another job for my tired husband who just drove us fifteen hours and hasn't stopped working since he got home!!
The Outside Kitty (aka Kiki) sees me dragging myself back to the house and runs to greet me.  I look at her coming towards me and cock my head to the side to get a different angle.  Yup, she is wet.  She rubs on my leg and I bend down to give her some love and feels stiff peaks of meringue?  Not likely....of concrete!  While we were out of town the well drillers came to pour the slab for my well.  I guess Kiki thought it was cool and refreshing.  I try to brush it out of her fur at the risk of losing my hand and part of my face.  I give up quickly.  She seems fine and I've been finding chunks of concrete fur around so she is grooming herself and no one gets hurt.  Concrete also found its way on to my husband's car...oops.
Monday morning I wake up feeling miserable with Scratchy on the brain and a 102.4 fever.  My husband returns to work after our week of vacation leaving me to feed all the animals.  It took me twice as long to do my morning chores, but as I was walking back to the house I decided to check my car.  I hear scrambling and meowing!  Scratchy!  Oh sweet baby tiny cat what are you doing in the car?  I question the kids.  Chloe has an alibi.  Brett says, ” Yesterday I had to get the directions for my legos, but I didn't know he followed me!”  So glad I found him before the heat of the day, that is one lesson I don't want my children to learn through experience.
I still have no leads on the disappearing kitty food at my front door.  I have filled it twice today.  I tried to sit and watch the bowl to no avail as I fell asleep.  I know the cats don't eat it quickly, the dog is in bed with me, the pony has been sleeping outside my window all afternoon, that leaves chickens, deer, or raccoons.  I'm so annoyed.  I will be shopping for cat food in record time if I can't solve the Kitty Food Caper!
I am writing from the comfort of my bed with the faint sound of a cricket's song coming from Brett's room.  I yell to Bitey(the leopard gecko) to please quiet his food, which reminds me to check on the food outside.  Gone again!  I think this mystery is to be continued......
The photos below are of Scratchy and the cement fur clumps.  Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment