Friday, August 3, 2012

I Can't Wait To Get Out of Here!

We are on the road, heading west and then south, but ultimately towards home.  Home for me has been so many places, so many homes and cities alike.  I don't struggle with calling somewhere home even if it had only been hours since arrival.  All week the beach condo has been home. I only paid for one week, but home it became.

Two weeks ago I was sitting in a movie theater and I over heard some teenagers talking about home.  Two of them said, ”I can't wait to get out of this place and I'm never coming back!” and the other guy said, ”I love it here.  I hope I never have to leave.”  I grew up in Laredo, Texas and couldn't wait to leave.  Don't judge me, listen to why.

I always dreamed of being famous (this is a blog post in itself) in the form of either a movie star or a Broadway star.  Laredo is not exactly the silver screen!  If I dreamed of having an uber successful freight forwarding company, Laredo is the spot.  Ok, this paragraph was a MAJOR deviation.

I have made moves for various reasons and each move proved to be a blessing, sometimes in disguise.  With each move comes new routes to all of my favorite places, my furniture finding new resting spots, the pets enjoying a sniff-fest, and the kids finding new hiding spots (from each other).  We currently live in a place where there is work for both of us, a great school for the kids, and friends.  People come from far and wide to visit the Texas Hill Country as place of rest and beauty. I get to live there.

Without exception, every place I have lived has had something beautiful and unique.  Each city has a special gift and each home provides a unique perspective of how we, literally, see our family.  The most important thing I've found is my world only turns where my family lays their heads.  A cardboard box, a tent, a house, or an apartment are all the same if my family is there too. 

The United States has faced its worst homeless rate since the Great Depression and yet the stories you hear are one of hope.  The families bond together and make a home out of their car, a tent, or even a shelter.  At the end of the day, the roof doesn't matter.

So, whether you decide to leave your hometown or stay and make it better, enjoy all your town has to offer.  Get involved and make a difference.  Find what makes your city unique and celebrate those things.  At the end of the day, rest your head wherever your loved ones are and know that is the most perfect place of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment