Thursday, August 9, 2012

Are Those Voices in My Head??

I am finally feeling better despite the low grade fever....oh and the wretched smoker's cough.  Yes, you are correct, I AM NOT NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A SMOKER.  Each morning, well or not, I am responsible for a farm full of critters who require basic sustenance.  This week I have worn different outfits to make the walk to the chicken coop and the barn.  On the high fever days I wore pants, two shirts, socks and boots, but since I was feeling so much better today I made the trek in my usual tank top, undies and chicken rain boots.

I walk out of the house, stopping on the patio to stretch and pour kitty food in to the bowl.  The kittens hit the bowl first with their front paws in the food, purr-crunching their food delightfully.  I walk out the front gate and hear hissing, turning back just in time to see the babies scatter.  It is safe to say Cement Kitty(if you don't know who Cement Kitty is, read The Mystery on the Farm post) arrived to eat.  I continue toward the chicken coop and hear neighing in the distance.  I am spotted by Charles and he wants to know why on earth I'm feeding the chickens first, AGAIN(like I do every day)?

The chickens are waiting at the door to get out and wander their wild frontier.  My chickens give "free range" a whole new meaning as they utilize six of the eight acres.  They enjoy fresh bug supplies keeping my scorpion population down wherever they roam.  They are not allowed to roam near my house, sadly, due to their naughty pooping habit.  I really hope all this natural food and such will make them eggs producers SOON!!

I feed the chickens and cockatiels realizing the five gallon water containers are almost empty.  I grab the containers and head to the hose.  Buster(the dog), Marsha and Scratchy (the kittens) are watching me, keeping a distance to avoid having a bad hair day.  I finish filling one of the containers and start to carry it about 30 ft when I hear men talking.  CRAP!!!!!!!   There are not supposed to be people out here!!!!! I scramble and hide behind a tree.  Unfortunately, the tree I choose is like hiding a marshmallow behind a pretzel stick.  Stay tuned for a picture of the tree.

Ok, so men talking isn't that bad unless you are in a tank top, undies and rain boots!!  I'm not sure if in the world of fantasies there is such a fantasy, but I would like to name it Notty Farm Girl (Notty-not instead of Naughty because it is so wrong for anyone else to witness!!!).  I am horrified at the prospect of having been seen yet I cannot figure out the direction of the voices so the tree, small as it is, serves no purpose AT ALL.  I follow the sound of the voices, hiding behind more incompatible trees, wondering who these people are and why they are outside at feeding time??  Finally I realize the voices are about two properties away and behind a thicket, a couple fences, and a caliche pit.  They sound 100 feet away which I realize is due to the caliche pit and physics.  I promise I don't really understand how, but I'm sure someone could figure out the sound + curve+ distance and come up with a very good answer.

I finish at the coop and turn my attention east to the barn to feed Charles, Belle and Pip; this happens without incident. I start the walk back to the house with Buster, Scratchy, and Marsha following closely behind.  A great start to an almost fever free day!



The tree I used as a shield is the one right by Charles' head. Oh and in case you didn't see the solved mystery, check out my previous blog posted earlier today.







No comments:

Post a Comment