Friday, August 24, 2012

Tomorrow is Too Late

This morning I drove in to San Antonio to pick up my cousin so she could spend the day hanging out on the farm.  As we drove we made plans to shop the Boerne shops and swim in the pond.  In  the distance I catch a glimpse of lights.  An ambulance, fire truck and multiple police patrol cars are parked to keep traffic from passing.  My eyes scan to the scene.

It looks like it was a motorcycle, shreds of chrome are littered all over the street and the grass.  From beneath a blue tarp oozes bright red in a long stream while darker red drenches the pavement.  I continue to my exit where I see the car involved in the accident.  The windshield and the passenger's side window are completely crushed.  No one is in the car.  I immediately begin to pray for all the people involved in the accident and for the family of the man who's blood stains are currently cooked into the frontage road at the Fair Oaks Parkway exit.  I wish I had not seen any of the scene today, or ever.

I imagine he woke up this morning and thought, "Today is a great day to ride my motorcycle."  Did he see his kids, his wife, or his parents?  Did he know Jesus?  Did his life flash before his eyes as metal collided with metal?  Did he die instantly or did he suffer as he struggled to breathe under the weight of the mangled bike?

This morning on Facebook a friend of mine posted a photo of her good friend with her husband and 18 month old daughter.  This morning that daughter did not wake up.  No foul play suspected, but no answers for the very shocking death of a healthy 18 month old child.  Two lives, completely unrelated and both saying goodbye to this world for eternity.

Since I can remember, my husband has never left the house or my side without saying , "I Love You" and giving me a kiss and the same with the kids.  It is times like this that I truly realize the impact a small gesture like a simple kiss or I Love You can make if it is the last time.  Would you live your life differently if this was the last time you were going to see the people you love?

I think I would make some big changes.  I think I would allow PMS to play a much smaller role in my life.  I would allow my children to play in the rain and not care about wet clothes or dirty feet.  I would let them stay up late to see their favorite aunt and uncle who are visiting from out of town.  There are a thousand things I would change, but for now I will make sure I hug the people I love and let them know they are special to me.  I have a former student who hugs like it is the last time she will ever see you....that is the sort of hug that says, "I Love You and if I never see you again our hearts touched with this one last hug!"

Today as I saw the blood flowing from beneath the tarp, Sting's Fragile started playing through my mind.  Be different with and deliberate toward the people you love...today, right now.  Tomorrow may be too late.

"Fragile"

If blood will flow when flesh and steel are one
Drying in the colour of the evening sun
Tomorrow's rain will wash the stains away
But something in our minds will always stay
Perhaps this final act was meant
To clinch a lifetime's argument
That nothing comes from violence and nothing ever could
For all those born beneath an angry star
Lest we forget how fragile we are

On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are how fragile we are

On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are how fragile we are
How fragile we are how fragile we are



No comments:

Post a Comment