Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Chick Has Arrived!


The first baby broke out of its shell today!  I was not home to witness the miracle of life, but by the time I got home it had already dried off and looked like a fluffy chick instead of a spitball wad.  I am always entertained by baby animals; they often fall asleep while in the middle of another activity.  The chick was walking toward the water and fell asleep on the way.  It began to drink and fell asleep until its beak fell in the water and made for an abrupt awakening.  I remember when my children were tiny infants and they slept ALL the time.  I recall my mom expressing concern for their extreme sleep habits.

My husband and I were blessed with two children, but I might be a child hoarder if I could stand pregnancy.  Babies are my favorite!!  Well, most babies.  I do not appreciate puppies due to required training.   I didn’t love diapers either, but at least they contained the poop and I didn’t find it on my dining room rug.  GROSS!

This next two weeks or so will be filled with cheeps heard coming from within the egg.   This is one of the coolest things about the baby chicks.  Much like your baby kicks and pushes with heels and fingers making an appearance through your belly, Mommy Hen hears the tiny cheeps of her next baby to arrive!  I wonder if it will know how to be a chicken since the only beings it encounters are human or canine, and a possible kitty visit.  The door to the playroom will remain closed unless we are available to avoid the kitty visit turning in to The Last Supper.

The only thing left to do is to name the babies.  After each one breaks from its shell it needs a name.  I do not know whether we have a boy or girl yet, but please submit a name.  I will take my top three favorite names and we will all vote.  They can’t be complicated names.



No comments:

Post a Comment