Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Good Day, Indeed

1994 Society of Martha Washington Pageant.  Me with Ann Richards
Today started out relatively normal.  I got dressed and hopped in the car heading toward Laredo.  I was scheduled to audition for The Society of Martha Washington's annual pageant, to sing the national anthem.  I arrived early so I could find the appropriate room and I pulled up at the same time a van full of American Heritage Girls, and their brother, arrived.  At that very moment I mumbled to myself, "You best get back in your car and high tail it to San Antonio as there is no way you can compete with a handful of cuteness!"  Turns out, I was right.  I spent the next three hours in a beautiful recital hall at Texas A&M International University in Laredo.  I was blown away by the young talent in the city and mesmerized by the amazing facility.

I was the oldest auditionee and therefore I believe there was an element of sympathy involved.   The panel having sympathy for me!  Nonetheless, I was proud to be a candidate considering the talented individuals who sang before me.  I was the last singer in the audition process and I'm not sure which is worse, first or last!


I received this kind note from the President of the Society of Martha Washington.  The truth of the matter is that for this occasion I was not the right fit.  I would do it again a thousand times even if I knew the answer would be the same.  The experience, the people, and the friends made and seen were worth the three hours spent at TAMIU.  Thank you Mrs. Hopson for your tireless efforts to carry on the legacy and traditions of the Society of Martha Washington!!


"You honored the Society of Martha Washington, WBCA, and your hometown  by participating in Saturday's event.  As a former deb, hometown girl done good, and very talented educator we were lucky to have you.  There was NO sympathy involved- you were wonderful..." -Mrs. Margaret Hobson

Before any of the auditioning started I spent some time visiting with the mother of some of the American Heritage Girls.  We spoke about homeschool and about classical education.  As I stood in the hallway with her, tears rolled down my cheeks.  I knew at that very moment why I was standing in a beautiful fine arts facility at TAMIU in Laredo, Texas.  I was supposed to meet this sweet mother and her beautiful children.  I said to her, "If for no other reason, God brought me here today to meet you."  I sat through the audition and sang and then watched as the group of young girls were honored with the opportunity to sing the Star Spangled Banner in February at the Society of Martha Washington's 2013 Pageant.  A smile came across my face as I remembered my mutterings from the first moment I saw them exit their van.  I'm glad I didn't pack up and head home before having the chance to meet and form a relationship with an eager homeschool mom who is searching for the best options for her children.  I hope I can, in some way, lead her down the right path in educating her children.  As she seeks to embrace classical Christian learning, I also hope to form a relationship with her family.

Prior to the auditions, I also met a young lady who is seeking to secure a spot at The North East School of the Arts here in San Antonio.  Having been a teacher at the school, I was able to offer insight and encouragement along her path to success.  If today was only about being chosen to sing, it would've been a disappointing day.  Today was about connecting with people, being an encourager, being encouraged, seeing old friends, and making new ones.   I even had lunch with my mom and a friend of hers that I haven't seen since I was in grade school.   The day was worth the drive and worth the time.  Thank you God for affording me to chance to be a part of something greater than myself!!


I hope your Saturday was filled with joy.  Much love and sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment