Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Is That Your Best Work?

"I'm not sure your moon picture is very nice.  You colored it sort of sloppy." I said.  Brett looks at me and says, "Well Mom, everyone is different.  That is how God made them."  I'm not sure that is the answer I was expecting.  I wanted him to say something about doing it better next time.  He usually has very nice drawings and so I expected it to be nicer, but once he added the marker it just looked like a jumbled mess.

How often do you look at something and think it could look nicer, be better, or be more fabulous?  Surely we NEVER think that of our own work, mostly we think that of the work around us.  The mom who didn't organize the carnival booth the way we wanted it or the cake that your friend made didn't turn out perfect.  I often think those things about the way people dress.  Does that person not realize that pair of pants does not flatter their body?  I always want to fix that person and then I think about all the people out there who just want to fix my outfits.  I try to dress "in style" but I usually just dress in my own style.  I call it Mimi-chic.  I like it, it is comfortable, it is flattering, it is usually black.

Indeed we are all created different.  Some of us actually prefer heels to flats and others of us prefer tennis shoes to flip flops.  Some of us spend our days in sweats and others in business attire.  Brett is correct, God created us all to be different.  If we spend less time tending other people's gardens we might actually grow something worthwhile in our own.  It is always nice to have the reminder from the mouth of the seven year old....humbling is a better word.

Having heard this advice, how will your tomorrow change?  Or will it change at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment