Sunday, November 18, 2012

What They Don't Tell You

My husband and children are watching Brave and it makes me think about a few things.  Recently, Chloe asked me to sign her up for dance classes.  If you know anything about my past, you know I've danced for almost thirty years.  When she was tiny she took classes and did not care for it much, so I took her out.  Now when she asks me to sign her up for classes, I cringe.  Why?  Well, it is complicated.

She has so much catching up to do with all of the kids who started taking classes when they were five and what if she isn't good at it?  Will I watch her in class hoping she doesn't want to continue because she doesn't have good turnout or extension or can't turn worth a flip.  I think I was happier when she didn't like dance and didn't want to take dance classes.  Now that she WANTS to take classes I am thinking of all the reasons why she can't take dance.

When she was born I imagined she would be a beautiful dancer, cheerleader, and everyone's friend.  Well, she is beautiful and she is everyone's friend.  I'm not sure what kind of dancer she will be and she says she NEVER wants to be a cheerleader.  As a parent we have so many things to learn and do.  We have to be supportive but not pushy.  Encouraging but not jaded.  Kind but not their friend.  Parenting is a balancing act for certain.

I don't want to be a stage mom or "tiger mom" who puts my kid in the stuff that I want her to do and furiously pursue it.  Supportive, not pushy.  How many of you have seen those audition videos for American Idol or other such show where the parent is featured raving about their child and then you see their child's audition and they are TERRIBLE!!  Encouraging, not jaded.  You must be honest and build a relationship with your child, but not a friendship.  This parenting thing is TOUGH.

Recently I signed up late for sports and my son was placed on a team with older kids.  He is working hard and actually messes around less, but he is not as advanced as the other kids.  When I watch him I think of all the things he needs to do to get better.  Sometimes I wonder why I put him in sports.  Then I have to remember the most important thing about sports is the experience.  Brett may not be the most amazing athlete, but the skills he gains from being involved in sports are more important.  The team effort, good sportsmanship, rules of the game, exercise, and friendships are just a few of the things he learns from sports.  As a mom sitting on the bleachers I'm learning a bigger lesson.  My child is possibly not the best athlete on the field.

When our children come out and we count to make sure they have ten fingers and toes and that they are breathing, we reached the first hurdle.  At that moment we believe our child is the most perfect child in the whole world.  It isn't until we see them with everyone else that we realize they might not be the amazing child we once thought.  There are other children out there who throw better, run faster, have better extension, or sing like an angel.  My children may never be famous or infamous, but can't they be the BEST at something????

Ok, reality check!  I need to get over wanting Chloe to be the best dancer in her class or to want Brett to be the fastest runner.  My kids will grow up to be the very best Chloe and Brett Stricker and that is the very best solution.  My only hope should be for them to grow up to be followers of Christ, enthusiastically pursuing a relationship with our Heavenly Father and trusting God will guide me to be the parent he created me to be.  The good news:  I know what I need to do.  The bad news: I don't always let go and let God.  I think I might even sign Chloe up for dance class, maybe.

3 comments:

  1. Sign her up and encourage her to enjoy the process. I'm sure as a dancer it has to be hard. I am glad that I wasn't a dancer so I had no clue. I just knew it was something my child had to do. If she just has to do it then let her. She may find out she would rather do something else, and that is OK. God has an amazing plan for Chloe and Brett. The exciting thing is that we get to be part of that plan for just a little while. Enjoy it while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This touched so close to home for me, as I read it the very night we watched "First Position". Katharine asked, very seriously, if I thought she could do that...seemingly intensely intrigued by the classical dance world. Scared the bejeebies out of me! You gave me some peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, You have always been an inspiration in your gentle and supportive parenting style. Always available and never pushy. It is because of woman like you that I am able to wrestle with the demons who plague me and decide to rise above myself. As a teacher I am afforded the great blessing of both learning from my students AND their parents. Thank you.

    Liz, As parents I find our struggles to be so large. Not because they are our struggles, but because our job as parent is truly the hardest job we will ever have. Often times the only evaluation we get is a screaming child telling you how bad a mom you are for not letting them do what they want to do. I usually get, "You are the meanest mom because you make us go to bed so early." I am proud to have the Meanest Mom title because early to bed makes for happy children in the morning.
    The world of classical ballet is a wonderful world if you go to the right place and are involved in your child's life. Some teachers can be destructive as can some children. It is our job as parents to protect them without keeping them in a bubble, which is why I suggest you get to know the dance studios and the teachers before you sign up. Talk to past students and to current students and "do not go gentle into that good night.". More than anything, your child must love doing it. The only time I truly feel like I've had a workout is following a ballet class. My happy place!!

    xo, Mimi

    ReplyDelete