Sunday, November 25, 2012

Do You Speak Goat?

Today Thadd turned to me and asked me a very important question.  "How do we know if the goats are actually pregnant?"  I believe myself to be farm literate while in reality I'm farm illiterate.  I considered, for a moment, purchasing the Goats For Dummies book, but does that admit defeat?  I think so.  Instead I must tread the treacherous farm waters and learn through failure?  That doesn't sound great either.

While Thadd and I continue to discuss possible solutions to identifying a positive goat pregnancy Chloe is in the back seat planning the goat baby shower.  "We shall make a goat cake with both pink and blue. Something delicious like molasses and other goats treats.  Who should we invite?"  Thadd and I are trying our best to come up with a better solution than my "wait and see" approach.  Yes, I realize I can "Bing" it and find out the proper way to identify a positive goat pregnancy, but how much more fun would it be for Thadd to film me walking around behind my goats waiting for them to urinate on a pregnancy stick.  I still have not purchased the pregnancy tests, but I will keep you posted on that adventure.  Also, sit tight and wait for the goat baby shower.  It is an event you do not want to miss.

Other things to consider are the second and third trimester ultrasounds?!  Does a vet do those or should I schedule with an obstetrician?  These are all very important questions for goats owners.  Don't these things come with a manual??  Yes, I just haven't read it yet.  I think you enjoy my trial and error so much more since I haven't read this manual.

Today was family Christmas card photo day.  Above you can see a sample of our Christmas 2011 card.  On the inside of the card it encouraged giving to International Justice Mission, an organization who deals with the deplorable crime of human trafficking.  As you can see, Chloe is trying to sell her brother, funny and terrible all at the same time.  I'm excited to see what my very talented brother in law Todd Stricker will come up with this year.  Although he spends most of his time doing wedding photography, he is amazing at capturing my children doing all of their crazy.  Take a peek at his work at www.facebook.com/toddstrickerphotography.

The day would not be complete without Thanksgiving leftovers.  Turkey and corn salsa tacos for dinner with creamed corn. Yummmm!  I can't wait to have turkey tomorrow!!  Speaking of turkeys, I walked out in to the darkness to lock the chicken coop and I didn't take a flashlight but was looking down so I didn't step in any holes.  I've walked this path a thousand times.  I'm walking and as I approach the coop I hear some clucking noises.  Without notice, a tree jumps in front of me and I run right in to it.  SMACK!!  Ok, seriously.  Who put that darn tree there????  Luckily it didn't leave a mark, but I sure was happy no one else was out there to see me.

It is now time for bed and to start the race toward the Christmas holiday.  This next stretch of school goes so quickly and before I know it my students will be leaving to college.  Maybe I will consider flunking them.  I really like my seniors.  I've been asked to write a few recommendations and am so tempted to write terrible lies to keep them from gaining acceptance to a school too far away.  Then I remind myself I was young once and I appreciated those recommendations written by my kind teachers.  They actually wanted to get rid of me, though.  I'm sure there will be a lengthy "farewell to seniors" blog in May.  I may even cry when I'm writing it.

Enjoy this last little portion of 2012 and if the Mayan calendar is correct, it is all you have left.  I've chosen not to accept the end of the world on December 21, 2012.  I am thankful for a roof over my head.(Day 4)  Goodnight Friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment