Friday, November 23, 2012

The Nutcrackers Arrived

Whenever I think I live out in the country I go and visit my friends who live out in the country.  Today it was a special treat to visit with them and to have riding lessons and even a trail ride.   They made homemade hummus, sangria, hawaiian pizza, and pumpkin pie ice cream.  We talked about horses and she asked me about my goats.  She really wants goats and her husband really does NOT want goats.  I didn't want to get in the middle of that argument.  The biggest thing that happened from all this horse stuff is Chloe's determination to let her ride horses.  She wants to "do what Ellie does."  Ellie is a friend and world champion horseman (horsewoman?) who is very much like Chloe's big sister.  Who doesn't want to be like their big sister??  Heck, I want to be like my big sister, too!!!!

Add to the list of restaurant owner, dancer, volleyball player, basketball diva, stunt woman, brain surgeon, horseman, and college student.  Immediately after she tells us she wants to learn how to properly ride and care for a horse she also throws in, "does college offer classes on the weekend?  If so, can you sign me up for some college classes?"  I'm not sure about this weeklong vacation stuff, it gives her too much time to think.  Christmas vacation is coming up soon so I need to think about activities to keep her mind off horseback riding, dancing, and college.  She has already been tasked with exercising the pony.  If it works out anything like the hamster situation you will find it should be out of her system in about 18 months.  Toward the end of the hamster's life she assured me this would be the last hamster as they are too much work.  Clean out the cage every two weeks and feed every other day.  Too much work?  I encouraged her against having children.  They require 24 hour supervision at the beginning and food at least three times a day.  I will say she has stepped it up recently and lets the pony and the chickens out in the morning and gathers eggs in the afternoon.  Actually, we gather eggs together.  We like to go visit with the chickens.

Speaking of chickens, I'm still sad about having so many roosters.  Today Thadd reminded me of all the roosters and rubbed his hands together as if to say, "DELICIOUS!"  I'm sad.  At least Baby Chick is a girl.  Tiny is NOT a girl, but he is tiny so he gets to stay.  Also known as I am going to hide him when it is time to slaughter the chickens.

After a full day out in the country with our friends we drove home to Winter Wonderland.  We walked in to the house and my mother and sister-in-law had converted my home to Santa's Workshop.  My dining room table is now the staging area for all things Christmas.  There was Christmas music blasting from the computer and joyful cheer in the air.  My mom lights a fire under my butt ever year and I'm not sure how a woman over sixty has more energy that a woman under forty, but she is the Energizer Bunny!  She did not want to spend the day out in the country with friends, she wanted to go shopping and get Christmas started.  So she did.  My idea of Black Friday is for ME to stay in the black.  I stay home.  I watch the news and watch people get trampled.  Every year.

Every time my mom comes for a visit she expresses frustration over the lack of clocks in my house.  I have one in Chloe's room, Brett's room, two in my room and the kitchen and then there are clocks on all of the cable boxes.  Today she bought me two more clocks.  Both for the kitchen.  The worst part is the ticking sound they make when I'm trying to write my blog.  I now have four clocks in my kitchen that is truly 400 square feet at the very most.  You can see a clock from any angle in the kitchen without turning your head.  Awesome.  Wait!  Is she trying to tell me something????  I'm not ALWAYS late, am I?

Tonight I am late.  I am late for my bed time.  I have been up past midnight every night this week and I have a strict 10pm bedtime or grouchiness ensues.  For the sake of my family I am signing off.  I am thankful for the fresh air out in the country(Day 2). Goodnight Friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment