Saturday, November 10, 2012

Manna






A beautiful pecan tree
Today I attended Brett's last flag football game.  At the game I had a grandparent talking in my ear about organized sports for children being a waste.  Here I am with my child in an organized sport, two children actually, talking to a grandparent of a child who is also in organized sports.  I pause, think and reply, "I don't like it either, but on the playground when the kids start playing sports and my son just sits there wondering what the heck is going on, organized sports seems like a good idea."   The truth is, Brett never plays sports on the playground.  He is much too busy trying to find a cool new worm, snake, or frog.  I just didn't really want to disagree with someone who had a real opinion about organized sports.  Truthfully, I don't care all that much about sports either, but I do care if my child grows up to have poor sportsmanship.  So, sports and organized activities help teach children valuable lessons.

The smashed pecans
Today, being the last day, the coaches gave each child a trophy, a medal, and a certificate with some words of recognition.  Brett's kind words were essentially, you have the potential to be a great leader so choose to use your powers for good instead of evil!!  This is my constant message to each one of my students.  I try to remind them that we have the capacity to be either good or evil and we also possess the right to choose.  Choose GOOD!   Unfortunately Brett doesn't know how to use those powers for good quite yet.  He is still testing the waters.

At the end of the game I was the official snack provider and made my way to the car where there were chocolate and vanilla cupcakes.  I considered making them or even buying the really expensive ones and then I opted for the HEB cupcakes as boys, or children, don't care what they cost or who made them as long as it has plenty of frosting.  On my way to the car I stopped to take a photo of a pecan tree and the crushed pecans on the ground.  My husband was frustrated with my photo taking and so he got in front of me to get the cupcakes.  We arrive at the car at the very same time, but he is frustrated.  I try to help him by grabbing the water bottles and as I'm walking backwards I trip and twist my hurt ankle.  I start to fall and the chain link fence is behind me so I grab on to it.  I poke my finger with one of the plastic decorative fence blocks.  Now I'm as frustrated as my husband.  I'm in high heeled boots, of course, and limping with a bleeding finger and a box of waters.  Annoying.

The day continues and there are goat visits, pony baths, and all sorts of fun in the afternoon.  I finally stop to write this evening and remember the pictures I took.  The smashed pecans and the huge towering pecan trees.  I remember walking on the smashed pecans thinking about delicious pecan pie and how all of these are wasted.  Do you know what pecans cost at the store?  They are even more expensive in other parts of the country since we are growers here in the South.  It was as if five dollars bills were littered all over the street.  I thought of all the people in other places who plant fruit and nut trees to actually eat of the plenty and here we are walking and driving over the nuts.  It was just a reminder of how wasteful we can be.  The other thought that came to my mind is when God feeds His people in the wilderness with manna.  I tried to remember the whole story and couldn't.  So I am providing it for you here.  I picked verse 33 to add to the blog because of the reminder that His very beloved people wandered the WILDERNESS for 40 years.
33 Moses said to Aaron, “Get a jar and fill it with two quarts of manna. Then put it in a sacred place before the Lord to preserve it for all future generations.” 34 Aaron did just as the Lord had commanded Moses. He eventually placed it in the Ark of the Covenant—in front of the stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant.[g] 35 So the people of Israel ate manna for forty years until they arrived at the land where they would settle. They ate manna until they came to the border of the land of Canaan. (Exodus 16:33 biblegateway.com)

Do you think if you were praying for and about something and you did not have an answer or even a break in the clouds you would continue to be a believer?  Probably not.  I get frustrated with God when he doesn't answer my prayers from five minutes ago, I can't even begin to imagine forty years!!!!

I'm not sure where this blog has gone tonight or what my message really is, but I do know that sometimes we just need to be still and quiet and wait on the Lord.  He hears you, He loves you, and He has NOT forgot about you.  He hasn't forgotten your broken heart, your sick parents, your sick child, your deployed spouse, your hurting marriage, your financial crisis.  He is still right there sending manna from heaven or at least pecans in the street.  Wait and be patient.  His timing is perfect.  Goodnight Friends.
















No comments:

Post a Comment