Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Oh How They Grow

I continue to live in denial.  Today I had to run a thousand errands in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner.  One of the errands was driving my mom to her errands.  If any of you know my mom, you know how errands with her can become quite the adventure.  One pair of socks turns in to three pair of shoes, six shirts, five pair of socks, and a partridge in a pear tree.  I'm not kidding about the partridge, either.  We went to Sally's, Lane Bryant, DSW, Old Navy, Chick-fil-a, her doctor's appointment, The Green Bull, Cypress Grill, Macy's, Dillard's, Auntie Annie's Pretzels, Sephora, Costco and finally WalMart.  The crazy part, I still need stuff from HEB.

We managed to drag the children along and they behaved for the most part.  There was about forty-five minutes of sheer chaos, but it quickly ended once the lull of the engine started and we began to move.  The kids talked about playing with friends or maybe even going home, I assured them they were dreaming.  We even talked about tattoos and excessive piercings.  I told them they could both have as many as they wanted and we should go and do it TODAY!!  I would be the coolest mom of all time if my seven and nine year olds had piercings and tats!  Whoohoooo!  Both kids vetoed the idea in favor of Auntie Annie's Pretzels.  LAME!

The denial I mentioned earlier did not make an entrance during  the tattoo discussion, but it did rear its ugly head in DSW and Old Navy.  Chloe is a size 7 1/2- 8 shoe.  I tried smaller sizes on her because I wanted to believe her foot was not so big.  Unfortunately for me, her foot DID NOT fit in any of the smaller, cuter shoes that are age appropriate.  I am now feeling sympathy for my sister-in-law when she used to hunt for shoes for her twin daughters who had large feet at a young age. The picture in the top left corner shows the shoes she wanted to buy and the picture to the right shows something closer to what we actually purchased.

I wanted her to fit in to the smaller shoes and to stay little for a tad bit longer.  No such luck.  The reality is she will be taller, smarter, and wear bigger shoes than me.  Likely all of this will happen before her twelfth birthday.  I do mean ALL of it.

On Sunday I was sitting in church watching a baby be, well, cute.  It is true, I no longer have a tiny baby.  I have a tween and a tasmanian.  They are growing and changing everyday so I best be on that train or I will miss out on their life.  I have to let them grow up and make choices and be individuals.  Well, I don't seem to struggle with the last part, just the growing up part.  Yesterday I was driving on the expressway and it occurred to me the day will come when my son loves another woman more than he loves me.  For a split second I was CRUSHED!  Luckily I still have a while till that day comes, but I'm so glad I have from today until then to prepare for it.  Let's hope I'm not that mom who thinks no girl/guy is good enough for her son/daughter.  Oh boy, I better start praying now.  Not for their spouse as much as for their spouse.

Who needs therapy, I have a blog!  Goodnight Friends.

  








No comments:

Post a Comment