Saturday, November 17, 2012

Beaverville

I pulled up to the house today after having been gone all day.  We have been experiencing some wild animals visitors as one would expect living in the country, but I'm sure I haven't seen ANY beavers.  From the looks of my property, beavers have visited.  Buster, pre-maturely dressed for Christmas, came out to inspect the destruction.  As I wondered around the property I began to hear the familiar sound of the very dangerous and extremely wild chainsaw.  The chainsaw was connected to a tall, sweaty and handsome guy.  Did Thadd hire a new yard guy?  Oh wait, the sweaty handsome guy is my husband.  The chainsaw roars and then a tree falls.  This pattern continues for a while and I stop and remember the work that followed the last tree massacre.  Trees don't just get cut, they must also be chopped and stacked.  I guess I can consider it a workout and quit whining.

Oak wilt has not been kind to the families of the Texas Hill Country.  The trees that once sheltered the Native Americans, Spaniards, and early settlers are now losing every leaf stained with the tell tale sign of wilt.  The wood turns gray and begins to crumble and hang.  If you walked in to a forest of oak wilted trees you might feel as though you've entered the set of a horror film.  Worse still is the pain you feel knowing that the tree has been growing for over a century and you are bearing witness to its demise.


I was glad to be home even if I had to see the beaver attack/chainsaw massacre.  I spent the early part of the day running errands "in town" and was so tired of the darn city drivers.  Actually I was really upset with whomever designed the 410 interchange off of 281.  It is, by far, the most inefficient road design in the history of San Antonio.  My opinion, of course.  I went to the airport, The Quarry, all around Alamo Heights, almost left my daughter at Academy, back to the airport, The Rim, and then finally home.  Whew!  Have you ever wondered who came up with the "running errands in town" thing?  Of course you run errands IN TOWN!!
I got to visit with the animals for a tiny bit before dark.  I just can't get over how much the chicks have grown and my larger chickens are laying eggs again.  I guess it was a one day strike and since I don't own any union chickens, my non-union chickens have decided to work again.  Of course I only got 8 eggs instead of the usual 12.  It could be worse, I could have none.  Many people have told me they would like eggs.  I'm happy to give away eggs for the price of the egg carton.  I am going to begin buying egg cartons and they cost a little over $2.00.  So, if you would like eggs, I'm selling egg cartons and giving the eggs for free.



I hope you had a happy Saturday and didn't have to drive along the one million other drivers who thought today was Black Friday.  I wish you a beaver-less yard and an egg-filled fridge.  Goodnight Friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment