Monday, November 12, 2012

The Chilly Day Comfort

What is it about cold weather that makes me crave hearty soups?  Today I pulled up my e-mail from allrecipes.com and it showed me the recipe for six can tortilla soup.  The comments all suggested that the soup would be an instant hit at home.  I was skeptical.

I arrive home, tired and not wanting to cook.  I visit the chickens for a bit and make sure everyone is fine and happy.  I take Baby Chick out to mingle with the big chickens and when I let him go my small toy Schnauzer bites the chick's head.  I quickly remove the dog from my "first born" Baby Chick's head and check for damage.  Baby Chick looks around, not sure what had just happened and my heart is beating double time.  I stand up and take him back to his enclosure.  I make a mental note to check on the instinctual roots of the Schnauzer and I slowly make my way back to the house to corral the children and convince them to complete their homework.

Brett is looking at the pictures in Chloe's Smithsonian magazine and Chloe is on the internet taking sample quizzes on the story of King Arthur.  She first searched "how to study for a test" and it told her to answer questions about the story to help her spark memory of the events of the story.  She sat for about an hour taking many different tests and also considered writing some of the test authors to inform them of misinformation.

During her testing extravaganza, I sat Brett down to do homework while I cooked.  I added the frozen chicken to a little water and put some onion and bay leaves in the water.  I also added some salt, pepper and celery seeds to the boiling water.  After about twenty minutes it was time for the six cans.  One can of corn, black beans, chicken broth(not condensed), mild Rotel, and finally cream of chicken soup.  I didn't use the last can which called for chicken in a can as I used boneless, skinless legs and thighs.  I added cayenne, chili powder, and cumin and simmered for a bit.   I fried some corn tortilla strips and sliced some avocado.  Chloe and I also enjoyed a dollop of sour cream on our soup, while Brett preferred it with a sprinkle of cheese.  As I was serving dinner Thadd walks in with a box.  Inside the box is a beautiful orchid.  I asked, "What is that orchid for?"  "You!" he replies.  "Did you have to stop to buy something?" I wonder out loud.  "No, I stopped to buy you an orchid."  I'm pretty sure my heart melted.

We sit down as a family to eat our six, well, five can tortilla soup.  The entire Dutch oven of soup was consumed at dinner except for a few stray vegetables.  After dinner Thadd made a cozy fire.  Oh how I love cold weather.  Hearty soups, fires, and family time.  Tonight will go down as a good day, a very good day.  Cook up some hearty soup friends and have a very good night too.  It is the simplicity of today that made it so great.  Goodnight Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment