Monday, November 26, 2012

What Should I Say?

Surprisingly we arrived to school on time.  Considering how much I've enjoyed that extra sleep over the break, I didn't think I would be able to get out the door on time.  I hit my snooze button once and actually turned the alarm clock off.  Ooops.  At 6:45 I jumped out of bed and threw my clothes and make-up on, cooked breakfast for the family(eggs, of course), and fed all the animals.  We drove out of the gate at 7:45am.  Whew.

I drop the kids off in the carpool line and drive to my parking spot.  I sit for a moment to regroup and mentally plan out my day.  I get out of the car and go in to my office (a.k.a the teacher's lounge) to make some warm tea and begin my work.  I sit in front of the computer typing and organizing lists and information and before I know it, it is time to teach class.  I go in to class with rather high expectations and quickly realize a class of activities instead of new material would be best.  The students were distracted and still on mental vacation.  Fortunately they have a test tomorrow which will help redirect their focus.

As we approach the Christmas holiday I think all of us begin to get antsy.  The next four weeks will fly by.  I know I have Christmas parties, birthday parties, and Christmas performances to attend and on top of all of that I have a job, a family, and I get to plan for gift giving.  Wow.  I am amazingly blessed.  To think that I have the ability to attend parties, shows, and buy gifts this season along with a job and a family is an enormous blessing.  This season reminds me of my extremely fortunate life and also of my responsibility to serve others.

I get out of school and walk over to pick up the kids.  I search for my keys.  No keys.  I do a campus check.  The kind of check that requires walking to every place I visited on campus.  No keys.  I give up and walk to my car.  The car is unlocked and my keys are in the ignition.  I guess my students weren't the only ones who were on mental vacation.  I drove home and lunged the pony.  Poor pony.  I overfed him and now I have to put him on an exercise regimen and adjust his food.  He is very unhappy about the food situation,  but he does a great job at exercise time.  The goats watch all the round and round and wish they could be out of their enclosure.  Not likely since they eat everything in sight including my Christmas decorations and wreaths.

We finally eat dinner and before bedtime Brett walks over and plants himself in the chair next to me while I'm typing.  He says, "How did you get us?"  "What do you mean?" I ask.  "How did you get kids?" he tries to be more specific.  "Well, you were in my belly and then you came out." I respond.  "How did I get in your belly?" he wonders aloud.  "Did you ask Dad this question?  I think this is definitely a Dad question." I say half smiling.  Chloe adds, "Brett, that is not a question you need to know the answer to right now.  You have to be my age."  "What made you think to ask this question?" I question.  "I was taking a shower and I just thought of the question." he says matter-of-factly.  "I'm sure Dad will be happy to tell you all about it someday soon." I say and send him to brush his teeth.  I'm not ready to have this discussion with my seven year old.  I think all the goat breeding and chicken "dancing" have raised these questions.  I guess raising kids on a farm has pros and cons and sex education classes begin early.  I'm fairly certain Brett will make sure he gets to experience goat childbirth and I'm absolutely certain Chloe will want to be the goat doula.  The more I write about this goat adventure the more I think I should be the one writing the Goat Manual.  I think more as entertainment than actual facts, but facts will make the Manual more useful.  Maybe I can also fill it will useless goat facts and statistics.  YES!

Thadd wanders out of Brett's room with a look of concern.  I wonder what he said to Brett to help ease his questions?  Hopefully he didn't tell him anything he can talk about and traumatize other children on the playground.  For example:  One day Mommy takes a shower and some water gets in to her belly from her belly button.  This waters the baby and it grows until it is time to come out.  Ugh.  I can't wait to be debriefed.  I hope your day was as uneventful as mine.  I am thankful for a great group of students who even on an unfocused day are a treat to teach(Day 5).  Goodnight Friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment