Friday, November 9, 2012

Don't Be A Hypocrite

I am starting to wonder if I should call myself a hypocrite.  I give my students stellar advise about following their hearts yet I announced to my daughter, "You are free to open your 100 restaurants after you finish med school!"  Am I giving her an option to follow her heart?  According to her she is going to, "...work for Microsoft while being a surgeon and owning 100 restaurants."  Lofty.  I continue to encourage her but was quick to add that cooking school had to happen either during her undergraduate studies or after she was finished with all of her medical studies.

I have a friend who refuses to allow her children to pursue anything outside of a pre chosen field.  She says they are free to do whatever they choose after they finish their study.  I guess that sounds sort of fair.  I wasn't really forced to major in dance, but it seemed like there really was not another option for me.   I have never been a fan of studying and so doing mostly dance and just minimum academic requirements seemed like a great idea.  I have to add that the minimum academic requirements were not so minimum and the "dance" course ranged from academic to science related to teaching to actual dance.  I remember in college when someone asked my major and I replied, "Dance."  they rolled their eyes.  I wanted to kick them in the teeth and give them a day in the life of a dance major.  I think all of us feel that way when we are in college.  Everyone always thinks their major is harder or more work than another.  School is work.

All of that to say, I'm not sure what I would do if her senior year of high school Chloe came to me and said, "I think I want to be a gypsy and backpack around the world living off the land.  I think this will truly make me happy."  I think I might throw up or pass out.  I would act very dramatically for certain.  I might even start screaming.  Why is it that we want to pursue happiness, but we aren't sure we want our children to pursue that same happiness if it is outside our preconceived plans?

I teeter on the fence between knowing God has it all figured out and thinking I actually have a say in any of this life.  I'm fairly sure I possess free will, but inside of that I also realize God knows my every thought and move.  So is it safe to say that God knew I would be here ten years ago and I thought I was going to be a Broadway star.  Yeah, I think He did.  I wonder if He found it entertaining?  I digress.

So quick recap.....don't be a hypocrite.  I think this message is really for me.  Hope you either benefit from hearing it or laugh at me for needing to hear it.  Either way, enjoy.  Goodnight Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment