Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Misadventure

Last night was a bust.  The only thing I have to show for it is these black circles under my eyes.  Well, I guess the kids have the story of how they slept in the car waiting for the goat to give birth.  I'm still not sure how I was going to explain the whole birth thing if it happened in front of their little eyes.  Brett and my mom returned from Laredo yesterday as I was down at the barn waiting for Augusta Belle to tell me when she was going to have her babies.

 Brett didn't waste any time when he arrived and shortly approached me with a snake he fished out of the pond.  When he grabbed the snake it threw up the two tadpoles it had eaten. Unfortunately, we were too late to revive them.  After much coaxing and some pleading by Chloe's friend who was visiting, he returned the snake to the pond.

The afternoon was in full swing and I had plans to go to Waring General Store for dinner with friends from school.  We packed our stuff and headed to the restaurant.  First, we arrived at Welfare Cafe.  We parked and walked around.  No one was there.  I sent a text message to my friends who I thought would be there and they didn't respond.  We got back in the car and drove to Don Strange Ranch thinking maybe it might be over there.  NOTHING.  Thadd gets smart and pulls out his phone. We eventually arrive in Waring forty-five minutes late.  I realized why my friends didn't hear my text or my phone call as the live music was loud enough to miss any communication.  Brett found some friends to play with and they did boy things for the entire dinner while I ate peacefully and spent time visiting with friends and holding a cute baby.

We returned home and everyone readied for bed.  Chloe and our neighbors made their beds in one car and Brett and I made our beds in the other car.  Chloe and the boys were laughing and using all sorts of electronic devices while Brett and I tried to fall asleep.  The stars were beautiful and bright last night.  Brett and I watched them for a while before we decided it was too late for us to be awake.  After a few threats, Chloe and her friends FINALLY went to sleep, I think.  Brett fell asleep and I put my ear plugs in, so it sounded like everyone was sleeping.

The dog and cat slept cozily next to Brett most of the night while I made my nest in the passenger's seat.  After my bathroom walk, all the way to the house, at midnight, I decided to join Brett in the back of my mom's Highlander.  Just in case you are wondering, I didn't fit with the dog, cat and Brett.  The goat slept all night, waking only when I checked on her at midnight, 2am, 4am, 6am, and 8:30 am.  I had to wake up a few times to turn the car on and roll up the windows as it got a little chilly in the car.  I woke up in the morning in a foul mood.  I didn't have any baby goats and I was exhausted and I slept TERRIBLY!!!!  I had no one to blame but myself yet I spent the next three hours blaming everyone else for my bad choice in the form of crabiness.

I dragged myself up to the house where I showered and then returned to the bed for twenty minutes for a "cat nap" that was completely unsuccessful.  I finally got dressed and drove Chloe in to town for her cooking class at Sur La Table.  She is learning how to cook Italian food.  Cooking classes are an excellent idea until she drags me through the store and suggests I purchase the pasta making attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer.  Well played Sur La Table, well played.

Chloe has recently thrown out her dreams of becoming a doctor or a marine biologist and has decided to become a chef. Whatever she wants as long as she isn't still living at home when she's 40.  I know that seems harsh, but too bad.

Before I left the house to take Chloe I told my goat she better not have her babies while I'm gone especially since I slept by her side all night.  She said, "Maaaaaa."  I don't think she cares what I say.  This whole goat in labor thing is wearing me down.  She needs to hurry up and have those babies.  I need some sleep.

I promise to keep you all posted.  I'm going to bed now.  I am thankful for neighbors who are crazy too and let their children join our silly adventures.(Day 88).  Goodnight Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment