Thursday, March 7, 2013

Detour

When I arrived home in the afternoon I spent a while visiting with Charles and the girls(goats).  The cats joined the grooming and interjected themselves for a little brushing as well.  At feeding time I dragged a large broken cedar limb over to the paddock managing to barely get it over the fence.  The girls immediately ran over to the branch to forage while Charles stayed behind to inspect it from a distance.  He approached it cautiously deciding it was dangerous but it was in his usual pathway, which annoyed him.  He sniffed the branch and then stomped on it to try to walk his usual pattern along the fence line.  The goats sluggishly moved out of the way, indignant to the pony's foolish stomping.  He repeatedly walked over and atop the branch hoping it would disappear or turn in to dust and allow him to follow his well worn pattern along the fence.

I returned to the house later peeking out the window to find the goats still eating on the branch and the pony still trying to make it disappear.  I was reminder of how often I do the same thing the same way and when something gets in the way of my routine I often do as the pony did.  I stomp and throw a tantrum because my system is wrecked.  As I watched him I laughed seeing God's simple picture of my insanity.  The goats continued to enjoy the delicious greens and the pony continued to have a tantrum.  Lesson learned.  Now that I've learned the lesson, let's see how well I react to change in the future.  I'm interested to see if the image of the stomping pony returns to my mind BEFORE I throw a tantrum, during or after.  I'll let you know.  Maybe.

I'm so very thankful for a peaceful afternoon with the animals(Day 85).  Meanwhile, Brett was climbing a pile of stacked logs holding a sharp object.  Chloe was doing research on sea urchins and reading Julia Child's Mastering The Art of French Cooking in preparation for her cooking workshop at Sur La Table during Spring Break.  Shocking, I know.  Goodnight Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment