Saturday, March 23, 2013

Jammin' with Bee Master Doctor Don


Equipment demonstration
Checking out the gear with Dr. Don
Today was "Bee Day."  Chloe, my sister in law, and my neighbors all went to the Bee Class with me and Dr. Don.  We left the house at 8:30am to arrive in time for delicious breakfast scones and fresh coffee at the home of our Bee Master, Dr. Don.  We spent the day discussing equipment, illnesses, treatments, hives, and, well, everything about bees.  Not only did Dr. Don expand our apian horizons, but his lovely wife cooked us breakfast, lunch and snacks throughout the day.  Everything was organic, whole grain, and healthy.  I encouraged her to do a cooking class to teach the basic foundations of eating well.  I'm not the first person to encourage her in this endeavor and likely will not be the last.  I will, however, be the first person to sign up for her cooking class.

The bee class was more than I imagined it would be and I began to get very excited about this new adventure.  Bees are fascinating creatures and I can't wait to learn more about them.  I was warned by a gentleman in the class that bees are not my friend and are instead something wild that I am housing on my property.  I'm guessing there will never be a lonely bee who shows up on my doorstep due to a fight with another bee.  My husband is still trying to figure out how he will get rid of the darn rooster, Fighting Irish, who lives at my front door.  Living at my front door also involves pooping at my front door.

The class lasted almost twelve hours and I am confident I have more questions now than I did when I started.  There is so much to know and learn about the whole process.  I told Dr. Don I was putting him on speed dial.  I'm not sure he was too excited about hearing from me often.  I also mentioned to his wife how unfortunate it must be for Dr. Don to share the house with a woman who is equally as fascinating, she smiled and modestly thanked me.  I think they are going to see a whole lot of me during this bee adventure!!  It could be a long couple of years for them!!

I am thankful for the wonderful bee mentor and his amazingly talented wife for opening their home to all of us fellow crazy bee people (Day 95).   Goodnight Friends.

UPDATE:  For all of my prayer warriors, thank you for continuing to pray for the Wells Family as they tackle this incredibly difficult chapter in their lives.  Brent has not improved today due to the sedation, but he has remained stable.  We have not reached 72 hours yet since the accident which will bring more answers.  Continue to lift them up in prayer.  Have a great weekend and hug your loved ones often.

Dr. Donald Fraser PharmD MBA teaches, "Honey I've Got the Bees" classes and can be reached at texmanbees@gmail.com or 210 860-9558.  He is offering an additional class on April 6, 2013 at his home from 9-6.  He read my blog post and assured me he welcomes questions and concerns and implied he didn't mind my having him on speed dial.  Let's see how he feels after the summer.  Additionally, I am considering inviting myself over often for dinner with his family to eat delicious meals prepared by his lovely wife.  You can also click the link to Alamo Area Beekeeper's Association to find out more about keeping bees in our area.

No comments:

Post a Comment