Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Fog

Tonight as I was driving to pick Chloe up at the airport the fog became more and more dense.  The cars in front of me seemed ghostlike and I wondered if there was actually a car in front of me at all.  As I looked at the oncoming traffic I felt like I was in a dream.  The headlights followed the same pattern as they moved toward me in a puff of cloud.  The closer we got to Boerne the less distance we could see before us.  Although it was dark outside, it would not have mattered as the fog was so thick even the light could not penetrate it.

Sometimes in life we hit a fog.  No matter how bright we shine our lights the path before us seems inevitably unclear.  Fog lights work, but they are not standard issue on most cars.  Those enormous KC fog lights are the kind needed for the fog I hit today.  The truck in the photo above shows a really great example of the need to shine our lights that much more in the fog.  Fog lights are specialized much like the way we must face the life fog.  It isn't important to have a view for miles, it is most important to keep your eyes firmly focus toward your Heavenly Father.  So often we look around to see what other people are doing and wondering why they are turning right or left or speeding up or slowing down.  The fog acts as a reminder that we should not be caught up with anything or anyone else.

Today I was thinking about how Chloe and Brett often watch me when they are playing a sport.  They want to see if I see their successes.  I sometimes wonder if I should attend games or practices so they don't feel so tied up in pleasing me.  Watching them watch me only serves as a reminder of the many times I look around for affirmation or praise and don't just stop to look up.

When you find yourself in a fog in life take advantage of the opportunity to hone your faith and ability to keep your eyes focused firmly on God.  During this foggy season you might find that you inspire others around you to seek a closer relationship with their Heavenly Father, but even if you don't, you grow your relationship with Him.  Afterall, isn't that what this life is all about?

Hebrews 12:1-3

New International Version (NIV)
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

I am so thankful for the small things that remind us of the greater perspective. (Day 68).  Goodnight Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment