Sunday, February 3, 2013

Avoiding Disappointment




My handsome rooster, Fighting Irish, has been all alone for two days.  Today I caught him while feeding him a treat to investigate why he was choosing to stay away from the group. I found a significant amount of redness at the area surrounding his vent(butt) and some lumps that looked like pimples.  Who can resist squeezing a pimple?  Not me.

I treated the area with Neosporin like I do any wound.  I think it is more of a mental fix, but it makes  me feel better knowing I treated the area with Neosporin.  I also checked on my pregnant goats.  They seem to be growing nicely and I can't wait to see the babies.

I do have some concerns for Charlie that I will deal with tomorrow morning with the vet.  He seems to not be urinating. I walked the entire pasture and cannot find a large puddle of urination.  His sheath was cleaned two weeks ago and so he should be fully functional.  I am going to try and avoid borrowing the horse trailer from my friend because I think it still has expired registration.  Ooppps.  I'm wondering if the vet does house calls?  I hear dollar signs racking up.  I think I need to to go to vet school and then I can afford to treat my own animals to the fullest extent and my knowledge will extend past Neosporin application.

Chloe decided to take some ash from one of the stump burn piles and turn it into paint and write on the walls of the barn.  Usually I wouldn't mind, but this coming weekend I am having a baby shower for a friend and I'm sure she will be less enthusiastic about the ash artwork.  As it is, since I am hosting the shower people will be asked to trek from their parking spot to my house through caliche.  I hope they heeded the invite's warning of dressing for a farm party!!

I guess I don't really find it strange to have a random pony or chicken at a baby shower.  Even though I grew up in the city and never lived on property or had strange pets, I really don't think it is odd to have roaming animals.  I'm sure that puts me in a special category of "people living in denial of being red neck."  Either way, I'm quite happy with my simple lifestyle and hope people coming to the shower will enjoy a relaxed farm setting instead of feeling like they entered the cast of Crazy-ville.

I'm not a football fan or basketball or any sport for that matter.  I would enjoy sports more if I had friendships with the players or their family.  Since I am driven by relationships, I am only interested in the things that interest or involve the people around me.  I like sports at my school, but not necessarily professional sports.  BUT, the half-time show tonight was, by far, the best halftime show in the past three years.  Beyonce is both beautiful and talented.  (Beyonce at the Super Bowl)  I'm sure there will be some scandal about her lip-synching or something in a few days, but the truth is, it was awesome.  My favorite part of the entire game was when the lights went out!!  Sometimes I think that is what needs to happen in professional sports.  Athletes should get paid a teacher's salary and teacher's paid an athlete's salary and then there will be betting on who was traded to what school(professors) and more focus would be on educating our youth instead of giving them mediocre role models.  Okay, I won't bash sports tonight.  I don't think sports are the problem, I think our priorities are the problem.

In case you are wondering who I am choosing to win the Super Bowl??  The team that wins, of course!!  I always choose the winning team.  I don't like disappointment, so if I always choose the winning team, I always win!!  I'm sure dealing with that small issue will require years of therapy I will never seek.  I think it important to minimize disappointment in most of your life since it will pop up throughout my life.  I need not be disappointed in football!!!!!  I hope all of you had a great evening and that you were not disappointed by tonight's game.  If you were, I think you might need to re-evaluate your priorities!  My personal feelings.  I am thankful I am a teacher even if the salary is small, the rewards are GREAT!! (Day 63).  Goodnight Friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment