Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Friend

Today I had lunch with a friend.  We shared life bits and cried a little and laughed a little.  Life is certainly not perfect for either one of us, but in this season of her life she needs support.  In past life seasons I have leaned on her for support and she has always been gracious, kind and honest with me.  It was hard to hear her words and to feel her sorrow with the many things in her life that she feels have left her sphere of control.  She doesn't see her beauty and her worth and she surely does not see the woman created by her Heavenly Father.

I sat across from her and looked in to her clear blue eyes that once held laughter and hope and saw deep sadness.  She has stopped believing she can do it all to her standards and slowly things are slipping out of her grasp.  Of course, the things that slip are never the job of mom.  She organizes trips and plans activities for her family, packs lunches, drives her children to and fro, all while her husband works out of town.  I think all woman tend to lose themselves in their roles.  At some point in our lives we have to figure out the many roles we play and hope we can do them all well and still have time to have our own identity.  I think when you have younger children it is the very hardest because you are doing so much to grow and nurture these tiny beings.  As the children start school and get opinions, we begin to do more parenting and organizing and driving.  Even if we are stay-at-home moms, there can be little time for ourselves.  This friend is a very involved parent who volunteers for EVERYTHING and helps at every opportunity.  She has ridden the pendulum to the other extreme and spent much time and money finding herself only to find she wasn't sure she liked herself or her life.  Here is the most important thing she is missing:  she is beautiful and hand crafted by the Heavenly Father, made in His image and perfectly molded to be exactly who she is.

After lunch we stood in the parking lot and she let me pray for her.  I think I did more crying than she did.  My heart aches for her life season and for the pain she is enduring.  I hope she does not endure it alone and I hope I was able to say something that may change her appearance of herself.  It is amazing how God puts people in our lives to support us and sometimes we are the ones who act as the support.  I'm glad I was able to be her support as I remember the countless times she has been a step ahead of me with my kids in school and working full time.  She would buy craft stuff, school supplies, or remind me of happenings and events.  I think 2010 couldn't have happened without her.  Our friendship is easy and never forced or difficult.  She is the the person you would choose for your team because no matter what, she has your back.

Whether you are the support or need support, reach out to someone.  Prayerfully consider standing in the gap with them are having someone join you in your life season to help you through.  God and prayer can do so much, but finding a friend who can pray along side you means that much more prayer.  I am so thankful for my friendship with my lunch partner. (Day 75)  Goodnight Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment