Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Neighbor's Farm Tour

Today was filled with all sorts of adventure and some disappointment too.  We got up around 8:30 and milked goats and let the chickens out.  Inviting the neighbors to impart on our adventures, we planned an afternoon of Cascade Caverns.  First, I had to get the thorn out of my foot.  Last night I managed to get a nice big thorn in my foot.  I thought I got it out until this morning my foot continued to ache and throb.  Annoying.  Trying to hurry and make it to pick up Chloe's best friend from Starbucks downtown(our meeting point), I preceded to slice the bottom of my foot with scissors, using a needle to open the location of impact, and tweezers to guide the thorn from my foot.  I might need a tetanus shot. I did get the thorn out, but we arrived fifteen minutes later than planned at Starbucks.

With a car full of hungry kids we headed to Longhorn Cafe.  The food is always delicious and we, again, registered under the name of "Kitten."  They didn't get it quite right.  First they called, "Ken."  About thirty seconds after that they said, "Kathryn!"  Finally, the guy says, "KITTEN?"  The entire table of six of us stood up and rushed to pick up the order.  Only two of us actually carried the trays, but the novelty of being called Kitten was very exciting to them.  They all decided it would be, "Piglet" next time.

After lunch we hopped in the car and headed West toward Cascade Caverns!!  Whoo hoooo!  We arrive with a car load of excited children bouncing in the backseat, wait, maybe that was the Cherry Coke.  What was I thinking?  I get all my stuff in my pockets to avoid carrying a purse and they run 300 feet to the door and run back to report the bad news all before I can close my car door.  We return to the car and our neighbors announce an invitation to swim at the grandparent's house.  I agree and also offer the pond as an acceptable swimming venue.  Not everyone is a fan of the pond water.  We swim at their grandparent's house which happens to be next door and behind us.   There are all sorts of crazy jumping feats and fun going on.  I even managed to demonstrate a dive, backflip and a half twist.  I would've preferred an elevated platform for the tricks, but I was able to complete the trick before hitting the water.  I might be getting older, but I won't admit to it until I can no longer do my acrobatics.  I did have to give up back handsprings to avoid having wrist pain for weeks.  Back flips are still a go, and back layouts are the easiest of all flips.  The difference between doing them when you are young and doing them when you are in your thirties is that everyone looks at you with an odd face.  Head cocked, brow furled, slight grin and you imagine the thought bubble to read, "You CAN do it, but WHY would you?"  I might need to ponder that question.

We flipped until it was time to get out and do the farm tour.  Not my farm, but my neighbor's farm.  They raise horses, the tiny kind.  They also breed Maltese dogs and had a few puppies on hand for socialization.  I didn't take pictures because they are so tiny I was afraid if I got my camera and dropped the dog, it would break.  It was a nice drive around the farm.







After swimming I remembered the clothing my husband asked me to take to the cleaners.  We get back in the car, with the dogs this time, and drive to the cleaners while also making a pit stop at grocery story.  I had a swimsuit and a sarong on, but I needed a few items.  I tied my sarong around my neck making it drape like a dress with a crossed from and went in to the store.  Barely able to breathe from the tight sarong around my next, I rushed through the store getting the essentials:  potatoes, peaches, plums, grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe, ICE CREAM SANDWICHES.  At home, I unpack and the kids go back to the neighbor's house for some trampoline and playing in the hose fun.

I decide to make meatloaf, mashed potatoes and asparagus, when Thadd walks in the door from work.  Usually I don't begin cooking dinner until 6 and he was standing at he door before six.  I kicked it in to high gear and whipped up dinner.  Thadd suggested snow cones, so we loaded the kids, neighbors and dogs in the car and got snow cones.  We chased ducks while eating snow cones and now it is time for bed.  Oh wait, we still have to milk the goats.

I am thankful for a fun summer day!(Day 156).  Goodnight Friends.  Maybe we will try Cascade Caverns out next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment