Sunday, September 16, 2012

Stuck In The Fence

This evening as I walked down to the barn to feed  Charles and the goats I heard a sad cry.  Thinking it was my cat suffering from another seizure I went searching for him.  The cry came from beyond my fence.  The cries continued for over an hour.  I didn't have the number to the property owners so I jumped in the car and drove to their house.  I pass their house everyday going to and from town and luckily they run a business out of their home and their phone number is posted outside.  I'm certain they will not appreciate my farm outfit.

The owner answers the phone and I report the sound of cries coming from his house.  He expresses his thanks and tells me they are currently working to free the baby goat that is caught in the fence.  He is very thankful for the phone call and I promptly save his phone number.  About a month ago one of his babies had escaped from their property and I had to call and report the escapee to them.  I thought I saved the number that day, but no such luck.  I didn't want to report the baby escapee that day, I actually wanted to keep the tiny goat.  I resisted the urge to rustle as it is illegal.

This whole ordeal made me think about how sometimes I get caught in a "fence."  Luckily I have friends and mentors who are able to hear and recognize my cries and help me through the rough spots.  God pursues me that much more when I go astray or am lost. Consider the Parable of the Lost Sheep:

Luke 15

New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

15 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”
Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.
We are not perfect and we are all sinners.  I am so thankful that He goes after me even when I do not deserve it.  I'm so glad He does not leave me to die like in the photo below.  These goats starved to death stuck in the fence as no one was there to hear their cries.   Fortuitously the baby goat at my neighbor's house was found in time.  Sadly, not all of us are found in time.  Come along side your friends and if you know they are going through a rough spot but don't think they need your help, pray for them.   God hears them and searches for them, but prayer is the best solution.

Matthew 7:7-11
Today's New International Version (TNIV)
Ask, Seek, Knock“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; those who seek find; and to those who knock, the door will be opened.“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!




If you want a short lesson on how God uses prayer, click here.  I found it useful to remind myself why we pray when God already sees our suffering and our joy.  Have a great week friends.









Ho`omana Hou students walked miles of Nature Conservancy mountain fence lines and found choke dead goats, like the one in the picture. All these goats starved to death as they got stuck in the fences and struggled for many days without success to get free. It was a sickening sight. Lesson of the day: Many times, good intentions are not enough.     
Walter Ritte

No comments:

Post a Comment