Tuesday, September 11, 2012

...And The World Stopped

I think living so far from the actually sites, we tend to forget the events of September 11, 2001.  This morning when my husband turned on the news I was slightly loathing the 9/11 coverage.  As much as I don't want to forget, I do want to forget.  I want to forget that ugliness exists.  I want to forget that approximately 3,000 people lost their lives and many more lost their loved ones.  I want to erase the image of the airplane flying in to the second tower with smoke and flames rising high in to the sky.  I want to forget watching people jump out of windows to their death.

The message I often hear is, "Never Forget!"  I will never forget albeit I try.  I will never forget exactly where I was standing when I watched the second plane hit the tower in a classroom full of students before school.  I remember being told to turn the classroom television off in order to maintain order on campus.  I will never forget the hugs being shared by my students.  I will never forget the amazing men and women seen rushing in to help while everyone else was running out.  I will never forget wondering if someone I knew was in the building.  I will never forget the length of the day.  September 11, 2001 lasted FOREVER!!

I've returned to NYC since the attack but never made it to Ground Zero.  I've seen photographs of the the 9/11 Memorial and it is quite beautiful. I'm sure I will never forget the events that unfolded on that fateful day, but I pray I never have to witness such hostility and ugliness on American soil again.  What were you doing on September 11, 2001? 

1 comment:

  1. We will never forget, but we don't need to watch it to remember these events. They will forever be etched in my memory. As is the birth of our two wonderful children. I will choose to remember, but not review the recordings.. To choose to remember the beautiful things God has blessed me with. ( He knows how much ugliness I've seen already) Lord only knows how the media saturated us with this event for an entire week. I remember climbing the stairs at the Rivercenter Marriott and The tower of the Americas every shift for 3 months and imagining what it would have been like to be in the Towers that day. To know there may not be a return home.
    But I do remember how this tragic event brought us so close together as a country. No political bickering and there was a little more compassion to each other as nation. We pulled through the tragedy and became stronger and wiser. God bless America...

    ReplyDelete