Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Do I Get A Surprise?

I started the day with dropping the kids off at school and driving to a far away location to take smartbarre with my dear friend.  We wanted to see if it was all they said it would be.  "They" refers to everyone who swears by the results of the class.  They were slightly incorrect about smartbarre.  While fun and great exercise, it was not my exercise of choice, but that could be because no exercise is my exercise of choice(besides Pilates or dance class).  I was expecting it to be like the New York City Ballet workout and so I was disappointed.  If I had done my homework and actually knew what to expect then I would've been quite happy, or maybe I would've not gone.  I also found out that a college friend of mine is great friends with the creator of smartbarre and so I therefore have loyalty to her and must make an official statement on the record, "Smartbarre is a wonderful workout and combines a clean space with a low impact/high intensity sweatfest.  I will not be returning due to my preference to a regular ballet class.  I had a great instructor and would encourage my friends to attend if they were not ballet snobs like myself."

After my workout I headed to lunch with my husband and a work friend who also happens to be a family friend.  We had a tasty lunch and we taught our server how to properly say the word "Delicious" (DeeLeeShus in case you are wondering).  We talked about work a bunch, but I did get to talk about some farm stuff.  Occasionally I would just interject farm stuff for my own entertainment since the conversation had spent too much time concerning work.  Yuck!

I drove back to Boerne to pick up my kids because I promised to take Brett to the doctor to check out his throat clearing situation that was causing my husband to worry.  On the drive the kids starting talking about getting shots.  "If I get a shot, do I get a surprise?" asked Chloe.  I reply, "If I get a shot do I get a surprise?"  She gives me a twisted look and sighs.  "If I get a flu shot I might consider running away.  Look, I'm fine with needles as long as I'm not the one getting the shot.  I know it doesn't actually hurt.  I just don't like needles!  Now back to surprises, do I get one?"  I laugh and say, "Do I get a diamond ring if I get a shot?"  Chloe shoots back, "You already HAVE a diamond ring!  I think I should get a playhouse(very expensive) for the shot."  I think about the diamond ring for a second and respond, "Well Chloe, you can never have too many diamond rings."  "Grrr!" is all I hear coming out of her mouth.

We get to the doctor and Brett has allergies and so the treatment is simple and straightforward.  The doctor finishes up and says, "While you're here how about a flu shot?"  CHLOE HITS THE ROOF!  First she hits my arm and screams, "NO!"  Then, as if I didn't feel it the first time, she hits my arm harder and screams again!!  I grab her arm and explain to her that hitting me is unacceptable behavior and that she will, in fact, be getting a shot today.  There is screaming and crying and major drama.  She is trembling in fear and she is trying to speak to me but her words are jumbled because she is crying so hard.  Brett doesn't really say anything, he just hides under the table.  There is about seven minutes of waiting before the sweet and beautiful nurse makes her way back in.  I'm embarrassed because my nine year old is giving an Academy award winning performance and my son is still hiding underneath the table.  I hold Chloe and the nurse begins to ask her about the book she is reading and then the shot is over.  "That was nothing!  You are done?"  quips Chloe.  I want to strangle her for putting on the dramatic show of the century and then acting as if she didn't just have a melt down.  Shortly after Chloe's shot I had to drag Brett out of the corner of the room where he tried to run and escape the shot.  He cried a bit, but mostly whining.  He asked if they could give him a cast because now his arm felt broken.  I think the drama comes from my husband's side of the family(ha).

Finally we are walking out to the car and Chloe says, "They didn't even give us a sticker!"  I quickly reminder her, "Your attitude and histrionics were not worthy of a sticker, my dear."  She crosses her arm and rubs her shot spot quietly mumbling something about it being sore.  We drive to our next destination....Costco!  We are driving and a really bad female driver in front of me is weaving through traffic and then directly in front of me she hits a big orange and black barrel and swerves off the road and back on to the road, crosses three lanes of traffic and then pulls in to a gas station.  This all happens in 5 o'clock traffic on the highway access road right near Costco!!!  We make it in and out of Costco without event and home.

I come inside and put my stuff down and grab a container in which to retrieve eggs.  By the time I make it to the chicken coop Brett has his shirt full of eggs and informs me that the broody chicken(a hen who has the urge to sit on eggs)wanted another egg so he put one under her.  I scold him for stuffing an egg under her fluff and begin to stick my hand under her fluff to find TWELVE eggs!  I think Brett has been sneaking her eggs all week!!  I grab my candling tools to see which eggs need to stay under her and which can come inside.  Eight of the twelve are on their way to being baby chicks!! UGH!  Normally I would rejoice, but guess who their mommy will be when they hatch?  Yeah, likely me.  Oh well, what is eight more babies!

I think I'm officially ready for the day to be done.  I sit down at the computer to write my blog and on my search history is the following, "what to do if you have a low grade fever and you want to sleep till the world ends."  Chloe should consider a career in drama.

If you read last night you will recall my entitlement rant...darn it, I think I'm raising entitled children.  A surprise for a shot??  I think we need to work on this problem before it gets out of hand.  I think I deserve a surprise for sure after the drama at the doctor's office, but since I'm not going to act "entitled" I will settle for just being their mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment