Saturday, September 15, 2012

Neighborly Love

I had my neighbors over for dinner this evening and I was reminded why I like them so very much.  When we moved in six months ago we were promptly greeted by our neighbors on both sides.  One set of neighbors are farmers and the other set is more city folk.  When we get together to have dinner it is a wonderful time of laughing and sharing.

My farmer neighbors have chickens and goats and a garden.  They do everything mostly organic and when we first moved in we met them over the fence when we were all tending to our outdoor chores.  Until my chickens started laying eggs I purchased eggs from them weekly.  When I say purchase I actually mean that I donated money to the raising of their chickens.  I am also the recipient of a beautiful goat they gave to us as a gift.  Many of you know her as Pip.

The farming neighbors have taught me how to worm my animals organically and even spent afternoons showing me how to administer the "treats" to my animals.  I've sat on their patio and sipped fresh lemonade while we visit about life, love and growing a farm.  They are a sweet couple.

The city folk live their lives coming and going from their jobs and their activities.  Travel and work fill their schedules, but a friendly wave at every opportunity is shared.  I am their "crazy" neighbor who takes their new found baby animals to raise as my own or pets the snakes they kill.  For my birthday my city neighbor gave me a card from "your normal friends" but as I live across the fence, I think we all know there is a little crazy going on over there!  The city neighbors still know how to shoot guns and be "country" when needed, but they do not keep goats or chickens or snakes.  Recently I needed some pudding and she had some!  Recently she needed a lime and I had one.  Oh how I love neighbors!

I find our neighbor visits to be refreshing and fun.  I love new people and new relationships.  I love knowing there are other people out there to call, friend.  Have you met your neighbors?  Consider doing a neighbor night!!  You won't regret the memories or the friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment