Sunday, September 30, 2012

Farm Skiing

This weekend was very eventful.  The nights went so late that I often didn't have much time to write.  Of course it is good to know that not writing exciting things does not mean boring weekend.  I told you about the amazing Homecoming game on Friday, but I haven't had a chance to tell you about Saturday or Sunday.  Saturday before leaving to the morning activities I went out to the chicken coop to find a wet, cold, sad chicken that did not get locked in Friday night.  Sometimes they don't all go in at the same time and so it resulted in us losing a hen.  We think two chickens were left out and one was taken by the resident owl.  There is no feather trace or fowl (foul) play evident.  So now I am down one animal.  This loss leaves an animal sized hole in my heart.  It is game time so we drive over to volleyball pictures and game where we beat the other team with all the parents jumping to their feet and screaming "WHOOHOO!"  We tried to be humble, but we were so proud of our SPIKERS(team name).

Flying high on the win we headed home to do the usual chores.  I took a quick nap and my hubby trimmed trees and cleared brush around the pond.  He came inside drenched in rain and sweat as I woke up from my snooze.  There is nothing better than a nap on a wet and overcast afternoon.  I did some chores around the house and made a wreath for my aunt.  It was approaching dinnertime for the pony and goats so I wander out to the barn to feed them.  The barn sprung a leak in the roof and as I was trying to rearrange Christmas decorations in the barn I forgot to close the gate to the pony/goat enclosure.  I see the goats run out and start munching on all the fresh green growth around them.  They look like kids in a candy shoppe going from plant to plant sampling each one and often returning to the previous plant for a second taste.  I rush over to close the gate before the pony follows suit, but the pony sees me and runs out of the gate.  I'm supposed to chaperone Homecoming Dance and if I leave my goats out to forage my husband will freak out.  The goats enjoy eating my patio furniture and the pillows and, well, EVERYTHING.  I get a special goat treat and lure Belle in to the back of my Yukon XL.  She jumps in because she loves riding in the car.  Pip refuses to join her.  I drive Belle down to the barn and put her away.  I return to convince Pip to get in the car.  She refuses once again and so I am left using the dog collar around her neck to drag her to the barn.  I begin to drag her and she gets a little spunky as she is hearing the cries of her friend Belle who is stuck back in the barn enclosure.  She isn't very big, but she manages to cut me in three place and bruise me with all her thrashing.  Chloe turns to me at one point and says, "Mom, she's throwing you like a rag doll!!"  Meanwhile I am being followed by three nosey cats and a dog and while I'm not in my usual farm outfit, I am sporting my husband's flip-flops.  I'm being dragged by a goat with "skis" on, PERFECT!  The pony decided to join his friends later in the evening.  It helps to know that he enjoys socialization.

I have to shower after this farm skiing ordeal and get ready to be a chaperone.  I do so in 45 minutes and jump in my car.  I'm pulling out of the gate when I see a package from UPS.  I open the car door to grab the package and hear, "MEOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!"  I look on my roof and spot my outside cat, Kiki.  She is puffed and scared.  I slowly reverse to get her closer to the house and further from the road and the traffic.  I stop and she finally jumps off my car and runs faster than a bullet in to the brush.  Poor Kiki.

I attend the dance and it is fun and no one gets hurt, in trouble or in a fight.  I call that a successful dance!  Fast forward to Sunday morning and as we are leaving church Chloe starts to tell me about her and Grandma's adventures from the previous day. "Mom, Grandma and I accidentally went in to the men's bathroom at Michael's yesterday.  We both had to go so bad and Grandma asked if she could use the stall first and I turned to her and said, 'Why yes Grandma, I will just use the URINAL!'  That is when we realized we were in the wrong bathroom!"  "Hmmm, interesting.  I guess the sign on the door wasn't a good indicator.  Well, good thing not very many men go to Michael's."  Good times.

We return home and I help my mom pack her car to go back to Laredo.  I jump in the car to run a couple errands in San Antonio.  I have to run in quickly to Petsmart to get fish for the pond.  They have the usual adoption center set up at the entrance and I do my usual visit to see all the cute and not so cute dogs.  You see, I'm not a dog person.  Yes, I have a dog, but he is very special.  I look at each one and ask questions about them and talk to the ladies.  I even pet a dog or two, even though my hand is going to smell like dog.  Then I see him.  He is sleeping in the corner and he is tiny and cute.  He is a Schnauzer and is very calm and has those eyes.  The eyes that say, "TAKE ME HOME!!"  I take a quick photo and jump in the car.  I have thirty fish to get to the house and so I start driving him and meanwhile send the photo to my husband.  I tell him to ask my daughter if she will accept this dog and leave me alone about getting her a big stinky dog.  She agrees without even thinking twice.  I turn the car around and return to adopt him.  The process takes an hour and many of my fish die.  I feel terrible for the fish but if I come home without a dog it was not going to be good.  Sadly, the pet sized hole in my heart is not filled.  Maybe when the baby chicks hatch they will fill the void left by my sweet hen who was carried off in the darkness on Homecoming night.

I think I've had enough excitement for one weekend, don't you?

the wreath I made for my aunt.

The dog I adopted today.  His name
is Tuxedo.

No comments:

Post a Comment