Monday, April 22, 2013

When Do You Give Up?

The day Augusta Belle gave birth to her twins, was also the day of our "Cowboy Breakfast" at school. My House(The House of Lewis, as in C.S. Lewis) sponsored the breakfast and if you've known me for very long you know I love theatrics.  Even more than theatrics, I love live animals.  When you put the two together you get a grand production!

I borrowed a horse trailer and promised to bring my pony to the breakfast.  We also had a dog, a bunny, and a fake campfire complete with glowing film masquerading as fire.  I also signed up to bring 3 dozen scrambled eggs, which seemed like an easy thing to do in the morning.  I jumped out of bed to gear up in cowgirl attire and cooked the eggs.  I made some extra for my children and then we all packed in the car.  I pulled the trailer to the barn to halter Charles and load him up.  I pulled him in to the trailer.  He stepped up and once he reached the front of the trailer, he realized he was unhappy about the tight space and backed up before I could secure him.  I grabbed his halter and tried pulling him in the trailer.  For thirty minutes I pulled, pushed, slapped, and growled.  I didn't want the kids to arrive late to school, so I abandoned my task and drove them to school.

As I pull up to the school a bunch of students run over to meet Charles.  Unfortunately, Charles is not in the trailer.  I find one of my students, who is Charlie's former momma, and drag her to my house.  We try everything to load the pony.  We pull, push, cry(mostly me), and beg.  Treats and alfalfa don't work, either.  We wrap a lunge rope behind his back ankle and PULL!  HEAVE!!!!!!  Nothing.  He is truly standing with his back and front feet nearly touching from us having pulled them together, yet is no closer to the trailer.  Ellie grabs his front legs and lifts them in to the trailer.  As one goes up, he removes the other.  After about twenty minutes, Ellie's shoes are full of pine shavings and I have sweat beading on my forehead, I turn to her and ask, "When do we give up?"  Ellie lets out her breath and grabs the rope harder, gritting her teeth and replies, "NEVER.  We never give up!"

I've taught Ellie for three years, and by taught I actually mean, learned.  When I first met her she seemed quiet and reserved except for the time she referred to me as, "Lady!"  Over the course of three years what I've come to realize about her is her passion is quiet, but very, very intense.  She is a leader who never says, "Follow Me."  As we were sweating and pulling and trying to load the darn pony, I learned something truly important.  First, I learned that if you want to load a pony in the trailer you have to LITERALLY kick his butt.  Secondly, I learned you must never give up.

The pony loaded after Ellie kicked him in the butt and I scrambled to close the gate.  The pony arrived at school and was a huge hit!  Everyone loved Charles even though he smelled like urine.  Gross.  If you've learned nothing else tonight, let it be, "Never Give Up."

I am thankful for the teaching job that is actually a learning job. (Day 117).  Goodnight Friends!
Hard to believe he is so stubborn.  "He" could technically
refer to either of the two photographed.

No comments:

Post a Comment