Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spring Has Sprung at The Stricker Family Farm

My neighbor's baby goat
The day ended earlier than expected for me in Austin and I was able to drive home and spend most of the day with the new babies.  I cuddled with Maple and April and kissed them and watched them nurse.  I sat in their stall for a good hour when Marsha, the pregnant cat greeted me.  I picked her up and liquid dropped on my foot.  I felt her stomach realizing her babies were no longer in her belly.  I walked in to the barn and found the plastic box where she had her babies.  They aren't the best colors:  gray, gray tiger, and gray and white tiger, but they are still precious!!  I visited my neighbor for a bit and held her triplet goats.  I wanted to bring them all home with me.  They are all white with black or fawn colored eye patches.  So cute!

the three little kittens
The events of the day made me quite tired so I decided to vacuum and take a nap.  I took a three hour nap then headed back outside to see all the babies again.  Everyone seemed fine so I went back to the house to write.  I decided to make one last trip to the barn and this is where the adventure unfolds.

The kids and my mom all followed me down to the barn to do one last baby goat check before bed.  I noticed Belle's teat was very swollen and hard on one side.  I tried to massage it and extract some milk. NO LUCK.  Belle ran around the stall frantically trying to avoid my nimble  and eager milking fingers.  The kids rushed to grab a pitcher, a rope and a collar to secure the goat.  We tied here to the side of the stall, food in her face, with my knee in her side and began milking her.  She was furious.  She pulled back so hard she nearly hanged herself with the rope which actually made milking her easier.  She began to have trouble breathing so I loosened the rope and she collapsed to the ground resigned to the milking.  On her back with her legs spread apart, her head on Chloe's lap and Brett holding the pitcher, I began to milk her.  Chloe was talking to her to keep her occupied while I tried to ease the tightness and swelling in her teat, "I know Belle.  You are such a good mama.  Your milkies are sore and they will feel better soon."  Belle replied with sighs and quiet moaning as if in deep conversation with Chloe although I think it was sighs of relief from the intense milk pressure.  I continue to milk her while Brett complains, "My feet hurt, can we stop with the milking?"  I ignore him and continue milking her while she is still on her back and I have some leverage.  My mom is standing at the gate holding the flashlight wondering why no one brought a phone or recording device.  I'm sure the resigned goat having a therapy session with Dr. Chloe, being milked, would've gone viral.

Maple and April
Tomorrow, I'm sure more adventures will follow.  I still have a pregnant goat!!  I still haven't told you the pony story from Friday.  When we hit a lull in the adventures I will tell the pony story.  I do have one more unbelievable thing to add to the evening's activities, Chloe cleaned and organized her closet by color.    I pinched myself as I thought I was still napping.

I am thankful for all the new healthy babies(Day 105). Goodnight Friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment