Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Are You Always Talking?

I'm always thinking about ways to be better; better wife, mom, teacher, friend, daughter, etc.  As I was driving it occurred to me, I out-story people.  I have good stories, not because I live a fascinating life, but because I can make a regular task sound fun or glamorous by using the correct words.  I've lived for more than thirty-five years and in many cities, states and homes with fortunes won and lost more than once.  It is easy to find a story to rival your story or possibly, beat it.  There is a flaw, a deep flaw to this  story hogging.  Friends don't out-do friends.  Friends share, listen, trust, listen, cry, listen.  If you notice, listening is a big part of friendship.

I struggle with listening.  Time is slowly teaching me to listen more and talk less.  There is so much to learn from the people around me, both young and old, to do all the talking.  I'm not sure I ever intended to have a better story, but life is so filled with stories and I love to talk so I tell you my story as a reaction to your story.  I don't think we shouldn't share stories, but it is important to know when you should talk or listen.  Next time your friend tells you a story, think about how you can best serve them.  It might mean you share something with them or it might mean you look more closely at their situation.

You might be friends with a story hog, like me.  Likely you are my friend and are familiar with my story hogging.  It sounds like maybe you've been praying for me to "get over myself."  It might be working, but it will require lots and lots of prayer!!

As I evaluate my friendships and how they ebb and flow, I often find myself to be the one who needs work.  I often pray for God to change my heart.  I truly like correction and constructive criticism, as it makes me better.  I ENJOY making corrections in my life and it usually starts with me.  Next time you find something yucky or "unattractive" in your friend, look and see how it FIRST applies to your life.

If no one else reads this blog post, know that it was written for me.  A reminder of how to better at being me.  I figure, I only have one life, I best make it the best life possible.  Will you change and be willing to look at your flaws or will you continue to be only a talking friend.

I am thankful for my friends who have been patient with me for so many years of talking. (Day 118).  Goodnight Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment