Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happy Grandparent's Day...To My Neighbor

Stella and her new baby boys

I'm still awaiting the arrival of my kids like a grandmother desperate for her grandchildren.  I sit in the paddock and pet the girls talking to them about all sorts of things and testing their threshold for stomach palpitations.  Sitting on the cedar log a text dings my phone and the message reads, "I have twins.  really.  not a joke."  Shortly thereafter a picture shows up in my message screen of two tiny kids, goats.  So jealous and also so happy for my neighbor.  Two healthy boys were born around 4 o'clock without event.  She told me there was no indication of labor or pre-labor and did not anticipate their arrival but had been praying for them to show up before she has to travel out of town for work.

I grab the kids, children, and we walk over to greet the new babies.  Still wet from their cozy spot in-utero, they wobble next to their mom, Stella.  She speaks to them letting them know we are friends.  We touch them and I can't help but feel such excitement in the pit of my stomach.  Thadd is right, I will likely spend the first night sleeping next to them in the barn.  

Belle incredibly pregnant...STILL
Do you remember that pet you had before children, or the one you currently have and no children?  The love you have for them you imagine can never be matched by anything.  The day you give birth or receive your first child and the absolute adoration you feel when you see their tiny perfect face, I anticipate feeling this way about these new babies.  The day will come when my first grandchild is born and I will understand a new level of love I never knew was possible.  Until that day comes, the hatching of chicks, birth of kids(goats) and kittens will be my closest understanding of the love of a grandparent.  

Maybe they will decide to be born tomorrow or the next day or the next day.  Who knows.  The day doesn't much matter, I will love them all the same.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to experience the circle and cycle of life with the various lovable animals here on the farm(Day 102).

No comments:

Post a Comment