Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Miss Honey Queen Pageant

Baby goats awaiting their bud burning
I forgot to tell you about Chloe's scholarship award issued on Monday afternoon.  I was called by the Vice President of the Alamo Area Beekeeper's Association to inform me of her award and to invite us to do some additional beekeeping on Friday afternoon.  Chloe was excited about the award and equally frightened by the thought of being surrounded by bees.  She did mention she might want to compete in the Miss Honey Queen Pageant.  We will have to THINK about that.  By we, I mean me.  By think, I mean ignore the question and hope it doesn't come up again.  I think the farm will be complete with our bees!  Chloe suggests we make some delicious goat milk cupcakes with a honey almond cream frosting.  YUMMO!

Kittens.  You can never see too many photo of kittens.






This afternoon we went over to a friend's house to burn the horn buds on our goats.  I'm sure I will be getting hate mail from this, but horns can be dangerous on the farm as I am often cutting my goat, Pip, from the fence.  I told Thadd about the horrible burned flesh smell and Brett hears me from the other room and yells, "...stop all the whining!!!  You won't get horned in the butt anymore.  It is a safety issue.  Now stop your whining!!!"  I couldn't argue with reason.

The chickens seem to be safe for now since Brett marked the area surrounding the coop.  I will have him repeat the marking every other day or so to keep the raccoon at bay.  My droopy tail chicken seems a little more responsive, but not great,  She will either be dead in a week or better.  Hard to know.

I am thankful for neighbors who come with me so I don't have to suffer the baby goats cries on horn burning day (Day 112).  Goodnight Friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment