Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Losing Made It Real

This morning my friend treated me to a massage at the local spa.  I waited for the masseuse while sipping pink grapefruit & tarragon infused water.  The robes are so soft and for about five seconds I consider sticking it in my bag and taking it home. 

I'm on the table and my masseuse, Tiffany,  tells me I can choose to relax or to talk.  For all of you who know me, quiet isn't my specialty.  We talk about lots of things.  I ask if she knows the meaning of her name, she does not.  I finally ask if she has children.  She does not, but hopes to add a bundle to her joyful marriage. 

I recall what made us decide it was time to have kids.  I was newly pregnant.  We had been married two years and HAD NOT discussed having children.  I was sitting in a rehearsal when I began to have the most horrible pains of my life.  I was doubled over in agonizing pain, but managed to complete my rehearsal and get home.  I remember sitting by the toilet because I wanted to throw up.  The bleeding followed the pain.  I called my sister, the physician, and asked her if she thought I was having a miscarriage.  She was scared for me, but acted strong.  She talked me through what I might be feeling and what was happening to me.  She told me I needed to go to the hospital if the pain was such that I needed aid. 

I was sitting in the waiting room of the emergency room losing my first child.  I had a support system, but they couldn't save the baby.  Nothing could save the baby.

Losing that child made us positive we wanted children.  We wanted to succeed at making and delivering a healthy child the moment we lost that first baby.  I'm not sure I truly understood the gravity of parenthood, but I was going to do it no matter the obstacle.

During my massage, I learned that Tiffany had the exact same experience.  She recently miscarried an unplanned pregnancy and she and her husband decided it was indeed time to start a family.   My heart broke for her as I remembered those feelings, yet my heart was joyful to look in to the smiling faces of the two healthy children who followed.  I spoke encouragement in to her life with naked Brett stories and Chloe encyclopedia stories.

I hope she doesn't mind the subject of my blog today and just in case you are reading Tiffany, your name means ”the appearance of God.”  When I read the meaning of her name my eyes filled with tears.  Someday she will see God's true appearance when she looks in to the eyes of her healthy baby.....someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment