Friday, July 27, 2012

Naked Again!

I was driving down the expressway thinking about what to post and I started laughing out loud as I remembered all the times Brett was sneaky naked.  I'm sure you don't really want to hear stories about my naked son, but bear with me there is a point to the stories.  Maybe.

I have a thousand pictures of Brett naked-ish between the ages of fifteen months and four years.  These pictures weren't collected because I like naked photos, rather he was naked for this (very long) season of his life.  I recall (many) dinners when he was fully clothed and somewhere between his first and last bite he was BUTT NAKED!  Another fun time I was talking to mom in carpool line and my son, blonde at the time, has his clothing off and was peeing in the creek in front of the school.  I denied he was mine, I'm a brunette.  How did it happen and why?? Does it really matter?
I grew up in the city, but my dad's two favorite past times were hunting and golfing.  When you go hunting you often use the bathroom in the bushes.  When you have a son and live in the country, a tree is a bathroom.  So, I have a son that is naked and pees on random trees!  I am the reason men all around the world get arrested for urinating in public as drunk adults.  Ok, not me, but mom's like me.  There is no reason to be alarmed, such is life with a son and also my parenting style.  Like it or hate it.

Now for my point...nakedness is beautiful.  Authentic vulnerability is refreshing.  If we were more like Brett, naked in our lives and transparent in our relationships, we avoid all sorts of drama.  Next time you want to hide behind something or want to tell a ”little white lie” imagine Brett running naked through your mind.  Your words and actions are so important.  Someone is always watching and likely it is your child.  I often ask my daughter to describe me is a sentence.  Sometimes the things she says hurt, but it is a great opportunity to rewrite my future.

Live life large, but keep it simple and clean.  Be transparent and naked, but please do not pee on a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment