Saturday, July 28, 2012

Road Trip

We are packed and driving our first fifteen miles when my husband says we should take 1604 (a loop) around the city.  WHAT?  No.   Just drive straight on IH-10!! 
After about twenty minutes of  ”discussing,” Chloe says, ” Can't we all just get along? I'm trying to negotiate peace here!”  Brett chimes in, ” If you talk less we will get there faster!” Thadd adds, ”Now I remember why I usually travel at night.”  I can tell this is going to be the best fifteen hours EVER! 

This morning my chickens were in celebration mode awaiting my departure.  Vacation for me means leftover food for them.  I dumped a bunch of fruit, bread, rice and veggies on the ground.  Large portions of the food barely touched the ground and instead filled the beaks of my feathered friends.  The chickens clucked with glee as they enjoyed every last morsel.  Buster, my Schnoodle, panted furiously waiting for an opportunity to get just a taste.  No luck.

I head to the barn and feed Charles, Augusta Belle, and Pip (the stars of the youtube sensation This Pony Gives Goat Rides).  Nothing is different for them and so they eat their food unnerved; not a care in the world.

I walk back up to the house and now have Buster, Scratchy, and Kitty Fluff following me.  This is a normal posse for feeding time.  Scratchy, still a kitten, loves to run between my legs.  Caliche + Kitten +Feet=Disaster.  This time I avoid disaster, but that is not always the case.  I try to avoid hurting the cat which hurts way worse as I fumble and slip and plop spread eagle on the ground.

I make it back to the house unharmed and pack the car.  Buster is sad.  He knows what suitcases mean and so he quietly watches, with his head on his paw.  I want to take him, but not this time.

We bid farewell to our friends who are staying at the house and thank them for their time.  We are off to Summer Vacation 2012.  Come to think of it, I think this is the first summer vacation Thadd has ever been able to join us.  I'm thankful to be with my family even if the combination of navigators is explosive. 

Beware travelers on IH-10 East as  The Scientist, The Extreme Fisherman, The Queen Bee, and The Boss are on the road today.

No comments:

Post a Comment